Question about having offset vs enjoying the lower fixed rate

Discussion in 'Loans & Mortgage Brokers' started by eddy123, 1st Aug, 2018.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. eddy123

eddy123 New Member

Hi all, I am trying to work out the best way to structure my loan at the moment.

Basically I am getting / hearing different results using the online repayment calculator vs what my friend has suggested regarding the loan structure for my case.

My situation is:
    - OO
    - loan term 30 years
    - it's a joint application for 600,000
    - has to have at least 2 offset accounts (split loan in our case / bank) and one of the accounts has to be exactly 200,000 of loan amount
    - we have 150,000 free cash which will sit in one of the offsets from day 1.
    - being give the choices of 3.79 var and 3.59 fixed (for 2 years), any combo except for 100% fixed

[My finding]
    400,000 on var 3.79 (with 150,000 sitting in this account to offset)
    200,000 on fixed 3.59

using the above structure / set up, I am paying only a few dollars more per weekly (or month) but I am paying far less total interest over the 30 years loan term than:

though what my friend [is suggesting]:
    200,000 split into 3 accounts, 2 variable and 1 fixed accounts with the 150,000 free cash sitting either one of the accounts - she's saying this way I pay less on repayment (True, but what about total interest?)

I am really new to home loan but I do understand that things can not / should not be simply based on rates. However in my case I also do have a clear understanding of my requirement (as listed above) so I'd like to ask all the experts, if I am looking for the actual total savings over say the next 3-4 years, which structure will save me more?

Thanks in advance..

p.s. the way I came out with my structure was simply using 3 different repayment calculators with the offset feature - Yes..I could be entirely wrong..I really hope I am.

2. Rolf Latham

Rolf Latham Inciteful (sic) Staff Member Business Plus Member

have the majority of the debt on the low fixed and the required offset amount on the variable

OR

use a lender that does both

ta
    rolf

3. Rolf Latham

Rolf Latham Inciteful (sic) Staff Member Business Plus Member

and if thats all non ded debt which it sounds like, how does that wash into a debt recycling strategy?

ta
    rolf

4. Terry_w

Terry_w Lawyer, Tax Adviser and Mortgage broker in Sydney Business Member

I can't understand your post sorry.

But it doesn't really matter as your situation will change quickly. You will be earning money and building up offset accounts. No loan goes 30 years like the standard graph show.

Plan ahead a bit.

Do you plan to invest, live in the property till death, move banks to chase lower rates etc.

5. tobe

tobe Well-Known Member

the interest savings won’t be that great over 30 years because of a smaller interest rate difference over the first 2 years.