Question about Airbnb mangement licence

Discussion in 'Property Management' started by pikachu1968, 29th Dec, 2019.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. pikachu1968

pikachu1968 New Member

Hey guys, new to this forum and I've already learned so much and loving it :)

I've been fortunate enough to have been managing a few airbnbs/short stays in the Melbourne area for some friends and family. While this has been a purely "casual" basis, I have been taking a fee for helping to manage the properties, and am now thinking about making this my full time job.

Am intending to see a lawyer eventually, but I'm hoping to get some initial assistance and insight into whether a real estate or other licence is required to operate such a business.

From what I've read, a licence is not required if it's just for short stays, i.e. below 60 days (and I'm not intending to manage any long-term lease), but not sure if this is correct.

If a real estate licence is a requirement, that would probably be the end of my dream as I do not have the time to do a diploma let alone get the 12 months' full time experience as an agent! :eek:

Any help would be much appreciated.

Thank you in advance!

2. Dan Wood

Dan Wood Well-Known Member

What exactly do you do, or will you be doing?

Managing is a bit vague, especially with Airbnb where it's all down to the owner..

Cleaning
    Picking applicants
    Handing over keys
    In/out reports / checks
    Repairs

Or the whole thing?

3. pikachu1968

pikachu1968 New Member

Hi Dan,

I post the listings, pick guests and meet them to hand over the keys.

For cleaning/repairs I do not do them myself but will liaise with contractors.

4. Terry_w

Terry_w Lawyer, Tax Adviser and Mortgage broker in Sydney Business Member