Query about driveway

Discussion in 'Development' started by imor_10, 24th Apr, 2019.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. imor_10

imor_10 New Member

Hi All

Apologies, if this is not the correct place for this query.

I wanted to get everyone's opinion on this. My garage is right in front of the stormwater kerb inlet, and going around will still require approval from the council to remove the tree. Has anyone faced a similar situation, what are the alternatives ? My builder is recommending to put an application to the council to remove the tree. What are some cost saving options you could recommend ?

Thanks a ton

Edit: Yes, I am stupid for not thinking this through and went with the idea to have garage on the western wall to keep the living areas cooler.

WhatsApp Image 2019-04-24 at 12.34.50 AM (1).jpeg WhatsApp Image 2019-04-24 at 12.34.50 AM (2).jpeg WhatsApp Image 2019-04-24 at 12.34.50 AM.jpeg

2. QldKoolies

QldKoolies Well-Known Member

What city? I had a TP advise to seek a permit to remove tree for a driveway (costly and can result in you being required to replant it). I looked into it and had the council arborist come out for an assessment to confirm the tree wasn’t significant, once DA is approved conditionally upon a resolution with the tree, its removed free of charge within a 90 day window. They’ll only progress it if you have approved drawings that require the tree gone.

3. imor_10

imor_10 New Member

City is Toowoomba.

4. Joynz

Joynz Well-Known Member

First point of call is to approach Council and ask for their advice. They may not like the crossover to be at an angle.

I’m surprised that your builder or designer didn’t realise this was an issue at design or set out stage.

The other option might be to move the drain.

Let us know how you go.

5. magpieseason

magpieseason Well-Known Member

One alternative is to move the tree. Does council own it?
    Anyway a bobcat would move it pretty easily. Followed by some post op care, basically dripping water on the rootzone for a few days.

6. Tufan Chakir

Tufan Chakir Well-Known Member

Designer, builder and plumber should have picked up the problem earlier. Maybe they did and then ignored it. Why is it you problem to sort out?

Joynz likes this.
  7. Scott No Mates

Scott No Mates Well-Known Member

The tree looks to be a council asset. It probably doesn't have any significance nor is covered by any tree preservation order as it is only a sapling.

• Was the tree approved and planted after your DA was submitted or was it at existing tree?
    • Why has it taken so long for you/your builder to realise?

Worst case is you will have to move the garage or the stormwater inlet pit.

Propertunity likes this.
  8. Propertunity

Propertunity Well-Known Member

I agree. I'd see about moving it or replacing it to a different location on the council footpath. Placed where it is, anyone could back over it with their ute or truck and break it off at ground level if they weren't careful ;) I recognise the Toowoomba red dirt :)
    At least it's not as bad as this:

Attached Files:

KateSydney, Marg4000 and QldKoolies like this.
  9. Scott No Mates

Scott No Mates Well-Known Member

I wasn't going to go down that path.

KateSydney and Propertunity like this.
  10. Tufan Chakir

Tufan Chakir Well-Known Member

I had another look at the photos. The crossing is already in place, so it seems. So it may be that the original developer/subdivider was responsible for the crossing and possibly the tree planting (or the Council came along later and planted the tree, seems unlikely in what looks like a new estate)
    Your best, simplest, most cost effective option is to contact the Council. explain the problem with the tree/crossing conflict and see if they (or you) can relocate the tree, or replant one

lixas4 likes this.
  11. bmc

bmc Well-Known Member

It looks the crossover doesn't align with you garage and the tree has been planted right in the middle of the lot.

assuming you want to enter the garage directly in front, maybe realigning the crossover is an option and installing a butterfly grate
    but don't expect council to contribute to the cost, this should have been anticipated with the design of the house and position of the garage.

[​IMG]

wylie, qak, Stoffo and 3 others like this.
  12. Westminster

Westminster Tigress at Tiger Developments Business Member

I'm going to assume that your building permit showed the driveway going straight and Council approved that.

I would be seeking to move over or ammend the design of the drain so it's trafficable and can be driven over. You'll have to pay for it but I think it would be a better outcome than curving the driveway

Tufan Chakir and lixas4 like this.
  13. Tools

Tools Well-Known Member

Tufan Chakir likes this.