Queenslander - waterproof flooring solution

Discussion in 'Renovation & Home Improvement' started by PaulSherwood, 2nd Jun, 2022.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. PaulSherwood

PaulSherwood New Member

I'm looking for advice on a suitable waterproof flooring solution for the downstairs area of a 1920's era built-in QLDer. When we bought the property the downstairs flooring was a cheap floating floor over some ugly tiles that are also in poor shape. While our house is not in a flood zone, during all the rains, our downstairs area took on water, warping the floating floor. Since then, we have removed the damaged floating floor and installed a stormwater system (pits and pumps etc) that has so far kept the water out. Now we are looking for a new flooring solution to replace or cover the ugly old tiles.

While the stormwater system has worked so far, we have to accept that water may still enter if it rains enough. As such, any flooring solution will need to be waterproof. I know there are waterproof hybrid floating floor options that won't warp when wet but water can still get underneath them making for a mouldy situation. I wonder if anyone can suggest another solution. We could install a less ugly tile or a polished concrete but these are probably quite pricey options. Grateful for any other suggestions?

2. wylie

wylie Moderator Staff Member

When we lost our carpet with water ingress in a 2011 "event", we were refused cover by a "flood insurer" so paid out of our own pocket to put down rectified polished concrete "look" large format tiles. We have carpet squares to keep this more cosy (but we could have added underfloor heating).

We've had water come in twice, with really big insurance events, because king tides have not allowed stormwater to escape all over the city and we are dug into a hill. My husband has improved our drainage over 20 years and we are very unlikely to ever have this happen again.

I'd look at modern, large format tiles for the same reasons we chose them.

PaulSherwood likes this.
  3. Paul@PAS

Paul@PAS Tax, Accounting + SMSF + All things Property Tax Business Plus Member

Tiles would likely be a long term solution that wont be impacted if flooding reoccurs. Easily hosed out and maintained. Tiles need not be too costly. From $20m2 plus laying.
    Dont lay over existing tiles. Messy but will provide a good base.

PaulSherwood and gman65 like this.
  4. Marg4000

Marg4000 Well-Known Member

Another vote for tiles.

Best solution in the long run.

PaulSherwood likes this.
  5. PaulSherwood

PaulSherwood New Member

Thanks Wylie, Paul and Marg. Yes, I think tiles will be the best option. I'll start getting some quotes. Appreciate the advice!

6. Scott No Mates

Scott No Mates Well-Known Member

An alternative may be lino or vinyl laid over the concrete. If it floods, you can easily remove it, wash it down and relay it.