Queenslander Reno

Discussion in 'Renovation & Home Improvement' started by Tim86, 18th Jun, 2015.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. Tim86

Tim86 Well-Known Member

First post in the reno section of the new forum! Definitely being counted as one of my finer achievements :)

Continuing on from my somersoft thread: http://somersoft.com/forums/showthread.php?t=106129

Been working on replacing the carpet in the back half of the house (2nd lounge/dining area, hallway, 3 bedrooms).

You can see in the second pic, under the carpet was not very nice, mix of different flooring and yellow tongue chipboard.

I had a heap of hoop pine I ripped out of an old house getting demolished a couple of years ago. Bought it for 2 cartons of beer and pulled the flooring up myself. Should come up nice once I sand it and polish it. Still have to lay the hallway and the back 3 bedrooms. Get to look forward to doing that tomorrow.

floor 1.JPG

Tranquilo, EN710, Hodge and 5 others like this.
  2. Tim86

Tim86 Well-Known Member

feature tile.JPG Just picked up the feature tile for the little 2m by 2m entrance room that I'm tiling.

Looking forward to how it will look after it gets laid, but think I'll keep that job as one of the last (don't want to break it).

WattleIdo likes this.
  3. Tim86

Tim86 Well-Known Member

Back room has been patched and painted except for the window moldings.

Replaced the crappy blue carpet with hoop pine.

The hoop pine, plus installing it and polishing it up in that room cost about $50 and a couple days DIY.

Will be sanding and polishing the rest of the floor in the back area tomorrow, and grouting the tiles in two rooms, looking at re tiling the bathroom and toilet as well, and installing new green glass panels in the 3m high window spaces. So me and the wife will be busy. floor first coat.JPG

Tranquilo likes this.
  4. Vacant

Vacant Well-Known Member

That hoop pine looks beautiful.

Arnel and Tim86 like this.
  5. Tim86

Tim86 Well-Known Member

Bathroom #1 reno coming along.

Still got to do some more grouting and paint the bathroom.

Total cost for the bathroom should be between $400-$450. b1.JPG b2.JPG b3.JPG b4.JPG IMG_0177.JPG

6. chindonly

chindonly Well-Known Member

Is this the house you have recently relocated Tim?

7. Tim86

Tim86 Well-Known Member

Yep the big 240m2 queenslander.

8. jins13

jins13 Well-Known Member

Excellent work and really enjoyed seeing the changes.

Tim86 likes this.
  9. Arms

Arms Active Member

I would question that timber being hoop ,too much grain ,and $50.00 ?

10. Tim86

Tim86 Well-Known Member

Its hoop pine.

And yep $50 to do that room
    room.

11. Tim86

Tim86 Well-Known Member

Sanded and did the first coat on the rest of the floor for the back part of the house.

Around about 50m2 of hoop pine laid in the back part of the house. Glue $20, nails $20, $90 worth of oil based poly, 2 cartons of xxxx $85 (payment for floor), then 2 days diy ripping out the old floor from a house that was getting demolished, maybe 3 days or 4 days work to get the whole floor finished. Oh and $5 for putty. So all up the cost to replace the carpet with hoop pine cost $4.40 m2. It's not perfect, you can tell it's recycled, but we like that sort of look anyway. Don't want a laminate 100% perfect fake look.

main floor 2.JPG main floor 3.JPG main floor.JPG

Antoni0, broc119, Toon and 5 others like this.
  12. Jigga

Jigga New Member

Looks good mate

Tim86 likes this.
  13. 380

380 Well-Known Member

good work @Tim86 !!!

I love those black tiles.. i wish one day i find a perfect bathroom for black tiles!

Tim86 likes this.
  14. Louis XIII

Louis XIII Active Member

Well done Tim, and totally agree, the pine looks so much better than a laminate ever would.

Tim86 likes this.
  15. Tim86

Tim86 Well-Known Member

Thanks guys.

I like those black tiles too, it's hard to see in the pics but they have a really cool indented pattern on them. And I actually managed to tile them straight...big achievement for me there lol

Was tempted to leave the old off white tiles around the bath, but there was water damage from a previous shower leak that had rotted out timbers, etc... so I ended up doing the job properly and replaced the rotten timbers and re did the tiles around the bath. Figured for 1 days diy and $60 worth of materials I might as well.

We like the hoop pine too. It gives the place a completely different feel to the blue carpet... now it actually ties the back extension in with the rest of the house which has hoop pine flooring too.

I think it's coming along pretty well.

I've hardly touched the much bigger front part of the house. There's a lot of work to do there.

But I should have this back half good enough to start renting out in 2 weeks. Will be nice having the place cover itself, then I can just do the front half with no pressure.

Brian84 likes this.
  16. Coastal

Coastal Well-Known Member

Do you have a builders license?

Lol just shh stirring.

Looks good

17. chindonly

chindonly Well-Known Member

Looks great Tim. How did U lay the hoop pine? Hidden fasterner? Can't see any nails there.

18. Tim86

Tim86 Well-Known Member

Pfffft you don't need fancy things like builders, or electricians or plumbers...etc...

It doesn't take a genius to figure out that you connect the red wire to the black wire, and the green wire to the copper pipe... or was that red wire to red wire and black wire to green wire... where does the water go again? Hmmm as long as the water is dripping into the foundations, I'm pretty sure that's a key element to any good build. That and obeying simple rules, like if there is asbestos, the proper disposal method is to throw it over the fence into the neighbours yard.

---- Ummm... but for the record I get everything properly certified and get builders involved where needed and with 3 electricians in the family I never have the need to touch a wire myself, etc...

broc119, JessicaP and Brian84 like this.
  19. Tim86

Tim86 Well-Known Member

Used my secret nailer, shoots the nail on an angle. There were old nail holes though because it was recycled, but the putty colour we chose matched it pretty well. We laid it over the yellow tongue chip board that was originally there. We glued it as well for good measure because some of the tongues were damaged in the removal process from the house they came out of.

20. Arnel

Arnel Well-Known Member

@Tim86

Niceeeo work mate :)

Did you get the bath tub re-stained?

I'm trying to figure out a way I can freshen up the tub with replacing it.:confused: