QLD Queensland Suburb advice

Discussion in 'Where to Buy' started by robbie_p, 30th Mar, 2017.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. robbie_p

robbie_p Well-Known Member

Hi All,

I am looking for some advice on subs / areas in Queenland..

We currently living in Adelaide and are looking to move to Queensland. The main motivators for the move are to be closer to family and lifelong time friends, better work opportunities (myself and family) as well as better weather ( I have found Adelaide weather too extreme).. and just a change in life style.

Work wise, I have offices in Brisbane CBD, which I might require me to go into once a week at most as I work mainly from home. That said, I don’t require to live near the Brisbane CBD, but rather have public transport options to Brisbane CBD when required.

I have a young family (3 kids aged between 1 and 6), so decent public schools I would need to consider in the area of choice. I have family and friends scattered around the Gold Coast (various suburbs), so ideally would like to be closer to them.

Taking the above into consideration, I would ideally like to rent in a suburb where I could afford to buy. I would be looking to buy a 3-4 bedroom house between $400-500k.

Taking the above into consideration, I think the only suburb I have come across (with my limited research and knowledge) would be Helensvale. Thoughts?

Are there any other suburbs between Brisbane and the Gold Coast I could start looking at?

Thanks in advance.

Cheers,
    Robbie

2. HUGH72

HUGH72 Well-Known Member

Southern bayside suburbs might be what you are looking for. Redland Bay, Wellington point or some of the better suburbs in Logan east of the motorway. Daisy Hill near John Paul College or Cornubia etc.

traveller likes this.
  3. Phase2

Phase2 Well-Known Member

Helensvale is almost on the GC, I've never actually been there I always drive past. For PPOR down that way I like the Highland Park area and elevated bits of Nerang. If you're patient you should be able to get a place with views out over Surfers, and it's about a 10-15min drive to anywhere on the GC. About 3-5mins drive to the Train Station at Nerang.

You can always rent in HV and take your time to check other places out.. there are lots of options and you probably won't know what you like until you get there.

4. boganfromlogan

boganfromlogan Well-Known Member

Transport to the CBD via train from the gold coast is good, but the M1 is bad during peak periods.

I lived on Mt Tamborine for years, it has some cheaper houses and supports working from home lifestyles quite well. Beautiful climate. I would drive down the mountain and catch the coomera train to CBD.

The western suburbs of the gold coast are pretty ordinary, but hey, nothing wrong with that.

South Gold Coast suburbs are very nice but further away.

Logan is closer to the CBD and suits commuters better than Gold Coast. But if you only have to commute one day a week .....

I don't think Helensvale is the 'pick', when there are other options to choose from. Why not think about places closer to Robina and catch the train from down there?

Mount Tamborine would be the pick for a work from home location, cheaper housing and access to coomera station. 4 degrees cooler in Summer than BRisbane.

The northern section .......(although the causeway / bridge may have some damage from recent floods at Coomera)

PS schools at helensvale coomera and pacific pines are all awful.

5. Big Will

Big Will Well-Known Member

Didn't know JPC became public ;)

6. HUGH72

HUGH72 Well-Known Member

What's about $2.5k per year between friends...
    Maybe you could advise the OP on a good 'state school' in the area because I can't.

7. Marg4000

Marg4000 Well-Known Member

You're dreaming!

JPC fees - Prep to Year 3 is $7.5K per year, years 7-12 is $12.3K!!
    Marg

8. HUGH72

HUGH72 Well-Known Member

Yes, I am dreaming it appears.
    Any suggestions for the OP?

Marg4000 likes this.
  9. Mel_C

Mel_C Well-Known Member

try mudgereeba . Your going to have to search now for houses under 500k state schools clover hill, mudgereeba are all well regarded.

10. Mel_C

Mel_C Well-Known Member

Also have a look at the top rated Gold Coast public schools and pick your suburbs based on that if they fit in your price bracket. You can live anywhere on coast if you only need to commute once a week

HUGH72 likes this.
  11. robbie_p

Thanks for all advice, much appreciated!

I've started putting together a list of suburbs with some information about each, so hopefully over the coming months I will have a better idea of potential suburbs which I can have a look when im there on holiday.

Given that I have 3 young kids, with plenty of schooling to get through, having half decent public schools nearby is quite important.

12. Inov8ive

Inov8ive Well-Known Member

I would suggest renting in Mitchelton with a view to purchase in Keperra. Mitchelton has decent schools, good amenities and transport but is a bit out of your budget. Buying in neighbouring Keperra is still very much possible in the 400-500 range. In another 6 months, this could change as it is a rising market

ndpjai likes this.
  13. robbie_p

Thanks for the suggestion, but we looking more south as we want to be a close to the Gold Coast as possible,

14. Sezy22

Sezy22 Active Member

Benowa, Ashmore, Southport, Carrara. Great schools around those areas and easy access to M1 or trains, although the prices might be a little more than 400-500,000.

15. robbie_p

is there a feel that the areas mentioned in this post are on the rise and that it would probably be a good idea to buy within 6-12 months?

16. robbie_p

Hi All,

My current borrowing capacity is about $300-350k (without the need to have to sell my other properties), so I might need to adjust the amount i can afford to purchase for.

The suburbs i have started looking into are the below and probably wont be able to get a 3 bedroom house for $300-350k, so I will need to look at 3 bedroom units / townhouses.

Redland Bay
    Wellington point
    Loganlea
    Daisy Hill
    Cornubia
    Helensvale
    Highland Park
    Nerang
    Tamborine Mountain
    Robina
    cleveland
    pacific pines