Queensland - Strata Search + Building + Pest Inspections

Discussion in 'The Buying & Selling Process' started by LaoBan, 21st Apr, 2016.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. LaoBan

LaoBan Well-Known Member

Hi all,

I am in process of buying a townhouse/villa in Queensland.
    The property is in a gated complex managed by a body corporate.

Can you please suggest which provider(s) to go to / recommended for
    - Strata Search
    - Building and Pest Inspections

And how much approx should they cost?

Thanks

2. JDM

JDM Well-Known Member

A pretty good rule is where you don't know how to do an entire conveyance yourself, appoint a solicitor to do so. I'm a property lawyer and I've even appointed another firm to do my own purchase. The small cost of using a lawyer is worth the comfort should something go wrong.

Regarding building and pest - what area is the property in?

3. LaoBan

LaoBan Well-Known Member

I am using a solicitor but I was advised that he does not arrange building and pest inspections and strata search. I have to get /arrange them myself. He also said he does not advise on those. I thought this is normal?

Property is in Sunnybank QLD

JDM likes this.
  4. Heinz57

Heinz57 Well-Known Member

ABIS Property inspections

5. JDM

JDM Well-Known Member

In that case I would be considering a new solicitor. They should be arranging the body corporate inspection of records search, reviewing the search results and then providing advice to you. Anything less than this is just poor service in my books. Body corporate inspection of records search is one of the most important searches when purchasing in a community title scheme.

6. Miss_D

Miss_D Well-Known Member

Yeah need the body corp records and look at the financials. You need to check out how much money they have in the bank, and how much is for admin fees and how much for building fees. Also there should be a 5yr plan for building works, which will give you a indicator if there are any big works planned and how much they have against it. For example if they have a repaint of the building, in the next five years and they only have 5k in the kitty, you can guarenttee there will be a special levy coming through.

How old is the building, how much is body corporate? Is there a lift? They cost a heap for body corp.. The more the amenities the more it will cost in body corp.

Also check out what was in the last agm, and if there are special clauses such as no pets, no air con, no foxtel and so on.

Rowena