Queensland properties- smoke alarms

Discussion in 'Property Management' started by Ythi, 3rd Oct, 2021.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
Tags:
  1. Ythi

Ythi Member

Hi,

We have a 3 bedroom townhouse at the Gold Coast. Recently our property manager told us that due to changes in Queensland legislation, we need to install 1 smoke alarm for each room, corridor, kitchen, living space and garage. This means we need to install 7 smoke alarms in total.

Does this sound right to those of you from Queensland? We aren't from Queensland so aren't totally familiar with this change in legislation.

2. Scott No Mates

Scott No Mates Well-Known Member

Yes, search the forum the legislation has been covered for the last couple of years.

QLD new smoke alarm legislation [QLD]

Tom Rivera and Antoni0 like this.
  3. Ythi

Ythi Member

4. Tom Rivera

Tom Rivera Property Manager Business Member

That does seem like too many alarms- roughly they do need to be in each bedroom, on each floor with living space and in the junction accessing the bedrooms. It would be a strange floor plan to need one in every corridor, kitchen, living and garage.

Mel Morgan likes this.
  5. Ace in the Hole

Ace in the Hole Well-Known Member

@Tom Rivera recommend Waveline electrical - https://www.wavelineelectrical.com/services

We got out townhouses done, only $559 for 3 bedrooms regardless of how many alarms required, with a control unit too.
    Some of our TH’s are 3 levels so more units required.

Quote from our property manager was about 8-900/townhouse depending on how many required.

Thanks Tom.

Tom Rivera and Ythi like this.
  6. Ythi

Ythi Member

Oh cool, I'll definitely look into this.

Thanks for the suggestion!!

7. charlie01

charlie01 Well-Known Member

Is your property manager recommending any particular smoke alarm supplier and installer?
    I'm certain that your property manager knows nothing about the smoke alarm requirements. For example, kitchen area definitely doesn't require a smoke alarm.

8. Ythi

Ythi Member

Yes our property manager gave us quotes from 3 different companies. It would have cost us $800+ if we went with any of them.

9. charlie01

I expected that's the case. These PMs never disclose conflict of interest to the IP owners.

Antoni0 likes this.
  10. Michael Mitchell

Michael Mitchell Well-Known Member

How much did it end up costing you?

Out of interest what was the cost per alarm and the labour cost?

11. dabbler

dabbler Well-Known Member

Yes.

Great time to be in the smoke alarm business. It happened as a knee jerk reaction to a few people doing some unusual things....so we all become responsible for others.....sigh.

Michael Mitchell likes this.
  12. Property101

Property101 Well-Known Member

One bedroom, bathroom, lounge....$370 includes pay up front discount 5%

Also have two new smoke alarms fitted prior to our purchase, but now no longer legal.

13. charlie01

I bought four Red smoke alarms R10RF (one for each bedroom plus one for hallway) from a local supplier for $264 (incl GST). I installed it by myself. I also removed existing smoke alarms, patched the holes in the ceiling and painted over. My ex-PM's smoke alarm man wanted $800. I don't think it included patching and painting the ceiling.

Last edited: 11th Oct, 2021
    KT8 and momentum26 like this.
  14. Bazza

Bazza Well-Known Member

I purchased smoke alarms directly from the factory (ANKA) in Shenzhen for approx $25 each and so far have installed them in two properties at $100 per house - you guys are getting ripped off! You don't need an electrician or any qualifications to do the installation of 10 yr battery alarms.

jared7825 and charlie01 like this.
  15. wylie

wylie Moderator Staff Member

If you want hard wired alarms, you need an electrician.

We have been told by more than one company we had to install hard wired alarms except in a couple of areas where we couldn't do so. Those areas had to have stand alone alarms but they had to be interlinked with the hard wired alarms in the rest of the house.

There is so much confusion about smoke alarm rules.

cookiedough and gman65 like this.
  16. Harveys

Harveys Well-Known Member

upload_2021-10-15_9-40-4.png

Jose Eduardo Slompo likes this.
  17. Bazza

Bazza Well-Known Member

The law states that if you replace a hardwired alarm it must be with another hardwired alarm requiring an electrician. However, all alarms (hardwired or battery) need to be replaced every 10 years - so the 10 year battery alarm is the obvious choice.
    Fortunately, the laws regarding the position of alarms has also changed. It used to be one in the hall way and one near the kitchen. But existing alarms are in the wrong place. The new law states that each bedroom must have an alarm plus one near the main exit of the building (and on each floor if multiple story). So simply install the battery alarms in the new positions and your legal.

Michael Mitchell likes this.
  18. wylie

wylie Moderator Staff Member

The last sentence states "Smoke alarms must be hardwired or powered by a non-removable 1--year battery, or a combination of both may be allowed."

It might just be me... but this isn't that helpful. Perhaps it should read "Smoke alarms must be hardwired unless this proves impossible, or powered by a non-removable 1--year battery, or a combination of both may be allowed."

No wonder people are confused if the people making the rules leave such a loosely worded statement as a guide. :rolleyes:

19. Mat

Mat Well-Known Member

Nope, it shouldn't. The legislation covering this is the Building Fire Safety Regulation, which says that the prescribed ways of powering a smoke alarm are to be hardwired or to be a sealed unit with a 10 year battery: View - Queensland Legislation - Queensland Government

You can choose which you prefer, unless you're replacing an existing hardwired alarm.

20. Bazza

Bazza Well-Known Member

Exactly, so don't replace the existing hardwired alarm then you can use all 10 year battery alarms = no electrician required DIY.