QLD Queensland COVID-19 residential tenancy legislation

Discussion in 'Property Management' started by HUGH72, 9th Apr, 2020.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. Simon Hampel

Simon Hampel Founder Staff Member

I don't think the tribunal would look too kindly on you serving notice due to sale with no sale contract in place.

2. Hetty

Hetty Well-Known Member

So say this goes to tribunal and tribunal orders a rent cut to 30% of the persons/couples current salary. Then they don’t pay that. Still no arrears?

Propin likes this.
  3. Simon Hampel

Tribunal orders are enforceable aren't they?

4. Hetty

Hetty Well-Known Member

I would think so but they say no arrears will be due.

5. Simon Hampel

No arrears from previous rental agreement.

AlphabetSoup, Mat and Hetty like this.
  6. abc_123

abc_123 Well-Known Member

It appears that the no eviction rules still apply. Whether the arrears on the reduced amount are allowed to accumulate is not really clear.

Hetty likes this.
  7. Hetty

Hetty Well-Known Member

Hopefully this becomes clear soon. If they would have to pay arrears on the reduced rate then at least the possibility of zero rent, for most renters, is moot.

As someone with two properties in Queensland I’m really annoyed by this legislation too, it’s not fair. I’m a bit worried too. Hoping that arrears can still happen on that reduced rate otherwise we don’t have much of a leg to stand on, tenants can walk all over us.

8. Gill Bates

Gill Bates Well-Known Member

My Observation:

The government has made it clear that people cannot be evicted due to financial difficulty due to the virus.

They have not very clearly said tenants can not be evicted for OTHER reasons?
    ie Can not be evicted for Malicious damage?

9. Closet

Closet Well-Known Member

In a depressed market 30 days on and back rented may be the only option...

AlphabetSoup likes this.
  10. Simon Hampel

Read this: For property owners

Clearly says that you can issue a notice to leave for an approved reason to end a tenancy - except for rent arrears caused by financial distress due to the impact of COVID-19.

11. marmot

marmot Well-Known Member

You mean the tenant that has just lost their job , through no fault of their own.
    Every time interest rates fell over the last few years , who did that "favour", certainly not the tenants, does a tenant get a "favour" through a discounted rent when many investors get a nice refund back of the ATO after negative gearing at tax time .
    Life doesn't always benefit the same people at the same time , at certain times , some are winners and some are losers.
    Think about those one million casuals that wont qualify for the new subsidies.
    As a property investor we have sat back over the last 11 years and watched interest rates drop from just under 10% to about 3% , at the same time we have smashed debt .
    We have also watched some friends that have has the same benefits, but spent years IO and took on more and more risk, and are now want the government to bail them out as well.

1961 and AlphabetSoup like this.
  12. abc_123

Also if one had a vacant property right now and rented it out to someone who appeared to be able to afford it based on their centrelink benefits or reduced income (say the rent was 30% of income which would seem affordable), there would be nothing stopping them from immediately seeking a rent reduction due to hardship, pulling something out that you couldn't have known about (like credit card repayments or something) to argue the 30% is too much?

Why would anyone with a vacant property put it on the rental market at the moment in qld if they had a viable other option?

Michael Mitchell likes this.
  13. Simon Hampel

While there are still people who are going to lose their job in coming months - in most cases - if they sign a lease today and then claim hardship shortly afterwards - I doubt the tribunal would look to kindly on that. You can clearly demonstrate they are trying to take advantage of the situation.

What viable other option do you have? Some rent is better than no rent, isn't it?

AlphabetSoup likes this.
  14. TMNT

TMNT Well-Known Member

well, they cant be evicted anyway due to rental arrears, it doesnt really matter what the landlord/tribunal would look to that

edit: I ve just had an idea, maybe ill go rent a $2000 per week castle in QLD, and refuse to pay after 2 days, thats 6 months free living in a chateau

Whitecat, 1961 and Anchor like this.
  15. Codie

Codie Well-Known Member

@marmot these points have been rebutted many times on other threads, and not once have you replied.

Last edited by a moderator: 10th Apr, 2020
    1961, Francesco and TMNT like this.
  16. abc_123

The tribunal can only apply the law though, they won't rule in the landlords favour just because tenant has been a jerk

Sell, leave vacant and see what happens, move in friends or family or themselves.

High risk of tenant in there trying to take you for a ride and paying a pittance or nothing is worse than an empty property with guaranteed zero rent.

17. Simon Hampel

They have to actually prove hardship to the tribunal though. You'd want to be pretty careful about who you let your property to.

Leaving your property empty will make interest and other expenses non-deductible.

18. skater

skater Well-Known Member

THIS

I've shown in a previous comment somewhere that a family with 3 kids can afford a rent of at least $500pw on the current benefits, and still be below 30% of their income. All good.....BUT.....

What happens when after 6 months when not all of these people have jobs to go to, and their welfare payments have the COVID bonus taken from them. Are we, as Landlords, now supposed to reduce our rents even further so that they don't have to move out of our properties?

Or is the COVID bonus here to stay & the dole money is essentially doubled.

Michael Mitchell and TMNT like this.
  19. marmot

marmot Well-Known Member

Whats actually rubbish is people loading themselves up with debt with multiple mortgages IO and then complaining during a major pandemic that tenants cannot pay their rent, and suddenly many investors in highly leveraged positions are up the creek, and even want Australian taxpayers to bail them out.
    Or would you like a "lecture" on how to manage your money better, which serves no point as it just puts people offside.

Last edited: 10th Apr, 2020
    1961 likes this.
  20. TMNT

TMNT Well-Known Member

what a joke, Politicians and politcs at their best

landlord: why cant you pay rent
    tenant: because I lost my job and now I only have...
    landlord: stop, we cant ask you about personal finances
    tenant: because I had $10k saved up for a rainy day, and now...
    landlord: stop, we cant ask you about personal finances
    tenant: ok, I cant pay my rent because I got a mosquito bite on my butt
    landlord: ok, now are getting somewhere

abc_123 and Michael Mitchell like this.