Quantity Surveyor Query

Discussion in 'Accounting & Tax' started by Gman22, 12th Oct, 2015.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. Gman22

Gman22 Member

Not sure if this is the right area to post this in so apologies in advance if i'm wrong.

I was at a real estate office with a mate the other day to check out a new place he was buying and a young kid rocked up to get keys to a property so he can do a quantity surveyor report for the landlords new property. This kid looked no more than 18. It got me wondering what qualifications a quantity surveyor needs to do a qs / depreciation report. Is it a uni degree of if you just wanted to stick to reports for residential properties only , is their tafe courses etc that you would need to complete.

Cheers

Gman

2. House

House Well-Known Member

They usually study quantity surveying or construction management at university level so three/four years study.
    There is a Dip of QS at TAFE and similar courses that can help you get into the industry.

Gman22 likes this.
  3. Paul@PAS

Paul@PAS Tax, Accounting + SMSF + All things Property Tax Business Plus Member

Would you prefer Brad Beer of BMT rock up and always ask for the keys ?? That would get a bit pricey.

Like many occupations, the person who is qualified has a team which included junior staff, young qualifieds and some guns with experience. The young guns do the field work and the experienced guys manage it and deal with the technical stuff, review for errors etc.

Gman22 likes this.
  4. Depreciator

Depreciator Well-Known Member

If it was an 18 year old, he would have been collecting information to take back to the office for somebody else to cost up. We still use qualified people on the ground. I like the person who inspects the property to be the person who costs the Capital Works and values the Assets. Its useful when clients have questions after they get their Schedule - and many do. Using qualified people on the ground is why we aren't the cheapest providers out there.

5. AndrewTDP

AndrewTDP Well-Known Member

As others have said probably the guy who takes the photos.

Or maybe you're getting older and he was in his mid 20s ;)

I grew a beard because I look 20 without one and on more than occasion was asked who my boss was despite 10 years experience in the job and being the director.

Gman22 likes this.