Quality wardrobes - where to buy?

Discussion in 'Renovation & Home Improvement' started by neK, 2nd Apr, 2017.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
Tags:
  1. neK

neK Well-Known Member

im looking to buy a new wardrobe for myself - unfortunately I've already got a built in and run out of room.

Anyway, I've got a cheapy IKEA wardrobe in there and it smells, don't know why, but it does.

I'm thinking it's the cheap materials (cardboard posing as wood) that has absorbed the dampness over the years.

Anyone know which shops I can browse to pick up a properly made unit? Thanks.

2. spludgey

spludgey Well-Known Member

I can't really help, but the IKEA wardrobe is most likely MDF, which is indeed prone to soaking up moisture. However, there shouldn't be any moisture in your bedroom, if I was you, I'd try and find out where it was coming from and how it can be avoided. You don't want to end up with black mould in the room and once you have it, it's quite hard to get rid of again.

3. neK

neK Well-Known Member

The house itself is generally damp. Older house, bad subfloor ventilation.

Looking into subfloor insulation, positive air pressure systems, and multiple subfloor fans to allievate the problem. Do you have any recommendations on these?

4. spludgey

I've got some friends that have subfloor ventilation and it made a massive difference for them. It used to smell musky whenever you walked into the house, that smell is now gone in the house and very minor under the house.
    They've got solar, so they have put the fan on a timer to coincide with sun hours. And while the fan isn't noisy you'd be able to hear it at night, which isn't a problem now.

I can't say whether you need multiple fans, as it depends on the layout of your subfloor, but you might be able to get away with a single one.

It might also be worthwhile to crawl under the house after a big downpour, if it's wet, you should also put some drainage around the house so that the water doesn't get under there in the first place. If it's not wet, then a fan alone might be the solution for you.

5. Scott No Mates

Scott No Mates Well-Known Member

The alternative could be a dehumidifier, not just a closet camel or two but an electric one.

Will set you back a few $$ but worth every cent especially if you have damp/mould issues.

Subfloor ventilation needs to be addressed as the permanent fix as it will to the bearers, joists & flooring rotting.

6. wylie

wylie Moderator Staff Member

Can you get a cupboard built (bespoke) and don't use any MDF or chipboard?

Or buy an old wardrobe that has been painted and waxed (shabby chic) or a solid timber wardrobe (will depend on the style of your house and other furniture of course).

7. Xenia

Xenia Well-Known Member

If you want good quality, try all reputable furniture store that makes real solid wood furniture.

I don't know about wardrobes but we've had problems with IKEA kitchens in our rentals not being waterproofed.

8. neK

neK Well-Known Member

Already have subfloor ventilation - Though it just sucks the air out, floor is not wet, but its not dry either. So i definitely think i need multiple fans to get the air flowing underneath the house.

In winter to minimise damp/mould i run the following - at the same time.
    - Dehumidifer
    - Split A/C Dehumidify setting
    - Ducted A/C

Such a pain these old houses.

9. Ace in the Hole

Ace in the Hole Well-Known Member

Moisture's gonna **** any type of wood based product, solid timber or manufactured wood products.
    If you can't remove the moisture issue, you could get a custom job made up from moisture resistant board, the type they make bathroom cabinets and **** from.
    But then, the moisture still gonna go to the next absorbent material so it can breed some nasty mould.

Last edited by a moderator: 24th May, 2018
  10. Scott No Mates

@neK is it a dampcourse issue?

11. neK

neK Well-Known Member

Not sure. What is the best way to check?

12. Scott No Mates

A moisture meter - most waterproofing rectification companies have a decent one about $600.

Equilibrium Moisture Content for timber & building materials is around 15%. A leak would be 40%+, flashing or dampcourse fault anything above 20%

13. neK

neK Well-Known Member

@Scott No Mates do you have any recommendations for professionals who can inspect and formulate a solution where required?

14. spludgey

Aldi had a crappy one for $25, not sure if it'd be worth getting one just to get some sort of indication.

15. Scott No Mates

@neK - the trades section of the local paper should have a few.

neK likes this.
  16. Property Twins

Property Twins Mortgage Brokers & Buyers Agents Business Member

Considered custom made Ken? We like Granville Timber Furniture on Parramatta road. You can design it..They do have some old-ish designs though so may be you drawing up what you want could be done....

Last edited: 2nd Apr, 2017
    neK likes this.
  17. Property Twins

Property Twins Mortgage Brokers & Buyers Agents Business Member