QS Report deductions...repairs

Discussion in 'Repairs & Maintenance' started by Paul@PAS, 22nd Oct, 2017.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
Tags:
  1. Paul@PAS

Paul@PAS Tax, Accounting + SMSF + All things Property Tax Business Plus Member

The new depreciation schedule regime exposes a reason why a schedule WILL still be needed.

I buy a property today with used assets. But my QS report says the oven has a value of $350. It fails and i buy a new one...Now its depreciable.

The old oven..... a cgt loss. Now.

But i question if a repair could make the former old oven restore its effective life. A question for the ato....can old assets be repaired making them as new again. If not is capex on the new costs deductible even if its over the cost limit?

2. Scott No Mates

Scott No Mates Well-Known Member

@Paul@PFI - If you can no longer claim depreciation on assets which came with a property purchased after the budget, why would you seek to repair rather than replace the asset?

3. Paul@PAS

Paul@PAS Tax, Accounting + SMSF + All things Property Tax Business Plus Member

It may be a required cost. Tenant required. A repair would be deductible

4. Ben_j

Ben_j Well-Known Member

@Paul@PFI to clarify are you suggesting that with a property that’s by purchased (not new) people should still be getting a depreciation schedule?

Buy Property Interstate WITHOUT Dropping $15k On Buyers Agents Each Time! Helping People Achieve PASSIVE INCOME Using Our Unique Data-Driven System, So You Can Confidently Buy Top 5% Growth & Cashflow Property, Anywhere In Australia