Health & Family QLDers I need your help with Midges

Discussion in 'Living Room' started by Ouga, 13th Dec, 2015.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. Kesse

Kesse Well-Known Member

Yep.

2. Gabba

Gabba Member

May I suggest seeing if the same agent that told you about the midges has any properties in Minyama for sale and then enquire about that property. Wonder if midges would be a problem then? Not sure of Minyama, but I live on Currimundi Lake and we don't have any issues, mosquitoes are more prevalent. Been to Minyama to friends houses and never really noticed them. If you can, there's plenty of parks and bbqs in the area go to one closest to the property and have breakfast or dinner. Keep an arm and leg bare then see what results .

Ouga likes this.
  3. Andrew H

Andrew H Well-Known Member

from the comments no one here goes fishing in North QLd estuaries, you don't know midges until you go fishing up here!,

we've used them all, best is;
    Welcome to Bushman Repellent - Australia's Number 1 Premium Insect Repellent Repellant
    use it fishing, camping, walking, home - oderless and hardly know its on.

....and for home all you need is these;

Waxworks Mosquito Repellent Coils - 10 Pack

you can burn them all year round for the cost.
    (our house is backed onto forest -helps mosquitos too..)

4. MJS1034

MJS1034 Well-Known Member

I grew up on the Sunshine Coast in hideaway waters (across the canal from Minyama island) right on the canal.

My mates used to come over and couldn't stand to be outside with out aeroguard where as it didn't bother me at all.

I went back there only last year for a fish and I couldn't believe how bad the midgees were. Not sure if they haven't gotten worse or if I just wasn't used to them anymore but it was crazy how bad they were.

Hope that helps.

Ouga likes this.
  5. dabbler

dabbler Well-Known Member

Did you notice them only on/next to the water, or the area as a whole ?

I think if it was the whole area it would mean living on a canal would be useless if you had a fantastic outdoor area and could not use at night in summer.

Ouga likes this.
  6. Azazel

Azazel Well-Known Member

They're tiny, I was surprised they are the size of a small freckle.
    I thought they were like sandflys.
    Annoying little buggers

Ouga likes this.
  7. Sonamic

Sonamic Well-Known Member

I have one right on Currimundi Lake at Birtinya and have friends on the canals in Minyama. Dusk is when they are at the worst. Not bad though. You either cope or you don't. Quite a bit of the stretch between Mooloolaba and Caloundra is built on top of old tidal mangrove swamp. Minyama has direct ocean access from your back door if you're on the canal. Hence it's desirability, and price tag. Great if you have a boat or yacht. Price you pay for living on water.

Ouga likes this.
  8. Ouga

Ouga Well-Known Member

"Trying is the first step towards failure" Homer
    Thanks everyone for all the answers and shared experiences. It's really interesting to see the different answers - sometimes opposing in fact! - and I think what sonamic said sounds quite true from all the feedback: you either cope or you don't. When you do, it's a non issue, when you don't they bother a lot.
    Now from what I have gathered being right on the water will increase the chances of being affected by midges - what I am trying to figure out now is whether a non tidal water would reduce the chances of getting midges. From my understanding it would seem so.

bob shovel likes this.
  9. bob shovel

bob shovel Well-Known Member

I concur ;)

10. PICT

PICT Member

Avon Skin So Soft, looks like they are now marketing it as a bug repellent, I've been using it for years, it works for me.

11. dabbler

dabbler Well-Known Member

No wonder your so good lookin ! ;-)

PICT likes this.