QLD - Which house would you take?

Discussion in 'The Buying & Selling Process' started by Kael, 7th Sep, 2015.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. Kael

Kael Well-Known Member

Hey everyone.

Last week, I flew up to Brisbane for a few days to look around for the next investment. I found two properties that I liked and put an offer in one.

House 1 - Fresh to the market last Wednesday, it's a recently renovated 3 bedroom, 1 bathroom, double garage highset/Queenslander with polished floorboards, renovated kitchen, renovated bathroom, painted throughout, new decking, new stairs and landscaped yards. From my research, it appears the house was built around 1970's. House 1 has only one living area but a cement area underneath which is large enough to convert to a rumpus room. No garden shed. House was priced at offers over $350k but this morning the agent rang me to tell me that owner has dropped price to offers over $339k. Rental appraisal by agency: $350-$370p/w

House 2 - Been on the market for almost 5 weeks, had one contract where the buyer pulled out. It's a lowset fibro asbestos 3 bedroom, 1 bathroom, double carport (not garage) with the kitchen from the 90's and the bathroom from the 70's. There is also a rumpus room extension built to the front of the property (double brick) which was done in the 70's. With this rumpus room, that means that the house has 2 living areas. This house also has a garden shed and a 3000L water tank, along with a paved outdoor entertaining area. Originally priced at $369k (which I thought was overpriced), it has since been reduced down to $339k-$359k. Rental appraisal by agency: $375-$395p/w

My dilemma is that both agents have come back to me stating the owners are keen to sell this week (which I knew already when I inspected). I've put an offer into House 2 of $335k (agent wasn't too happy with me, but I didn't think it was worth too much more because of the fibro and asbestos) and they countered with $345k, in which I went up to $337,500, they've again countered to $340k. After speaking with the agent for House 1 this morning, I'm of the opinion I could get House 1 for around the same price.

The area is mainly highsets, with a few lowsets scattered around the place. The thing that worries me is the asbestos and fibro, but the benefit of the extra living area and outdoor patio is decent.

With the info I've provided, what would you guys do? Any feedback is appreciated and thanks for reading :)

2. wylie

wylie Moderator Staff Member

Both in the same area?

3. Tekoz

Tekoz Well-Known Member

How big is the land size for each house ? are they the same ?

@Kael Which suburb is taht ? becaus mostly the suburbs that I have made an offer is already becoming hot like in Sydney. I had to compete against 10+ with other NSW investors:mad: even after +$10-15k.

4. Kael

Kael Well-Known Member

House 2 is literally right behind the house next door to House 1. Street behind it.

House 1 is 650sqm, with a wider frontage, and as it is highset the yard is a lot bigger. House 2 is 620sqm.

This is about 25-30km north of the CBD. Houses seem to be selling within the first week in this suburb but not as many NSW investors as Logan area (which I also visited and am still considering if these offers fall through). House 2 has been on market for 5 weeks but they did have an offer which they accepted, but the guy who put the offer in backed out apparently after changing his mind (according to the real estate). At the Open Inspections, House 1 had about 6 groups come through, with House 2 having about 3 groups come through.

Tekoz likes this.
  5. gman65

gman65 Well-Known Member

Seems like a no brainer for me for #1. Why would you go house #2 ? Old kitchen, old bathroom, fibro.. sounds like it will need a bit spent on it, never mind the extra cost/hassle of asbestos removal.

6. Kael

Kael Well-Known Member

That's what I was thinking but in same respect, I don't want to lose out on a decent buy just because it's not renovated. At least with renovated, there's extra depreciation, but definitely don't want to be the only factor I look at.

7. ej89

ej89 Well-Known Member

Is the crappier house in a better suburb?

8. Kael

Kael Well-Known Member

Nope, exact same suburb and post code. Actually, it's in the street behind House 1.

9. neK

neK Well-Known Member

why not both ? :)

Kael likes this.
  10. Kael

Kael Well-Known Member

I love the way you think ;P If only I could.

legallyblonde likes this.
  11. SouthBoy

SouthBoy Well-Known Member

House #2 for me, more living space, can accommodate a bigger family, higher rent so better yield. I don't believe you need to remove the asbestos as most properties from that era has asbestos. I bought a high set property in Logan early this year and had a builder put a living space downstairs and a bathroom. He mentioned the walls were asbestos. I was shattered. The builder put me to rest by saying, most properties from that era has asbestos and I don't need to worry about it, unless I am planning on demolishing it. I left it at that. The property is currently rented out to a large Maori family and yielding 7%

Dangsta, Tillie, Tekoz and 1 other person like this.
  12. Kael

Kael Well-Known Member

Awesome yield, congrats on it! I agree, most houses from that time do have asbestos. Agent for House 2 is asking me to sign the contract because he says owners will accept my offer of $337,500, so I'm hoping to make a decision in next day.

13. ej89

ej89 Well-Known Member

I think I know which house you're talking about in your description. I think house 1 looks way better than house 2 for pretty much same price.. Did u get some comparables on it?

14. Kael

Kael Well-Known Member

I'd love to be able to message someone privately to show the listings and get their opinion ;P If you have time, that is. Comparables in the area seem to be around the $340k-$355k. Hard to get a comparable on House 2 though, due to there not being anything similar on the market currently or sold within the past year or so (that I could find).

15. neK

neK Well-Known Member

What does your gut say?
    Go with that.
    Procrastinate for too long and both might be gone.

Kael likes this.
  16. Samten

Samten Well-Known Member

I would go with House #1 renovated and you don't need to spend a dollar. People like moving in to fresh accommodation therefore easier to rent. Rents are going to be about the same. Is the highset legal height for downstairs living? If you need to add outdoor living probably a lot less expensive thatn fixing #2. Does #1 have enough frontage to add GF/ dual occ?
    My partner and I spent 3 days doing opens in Logan 2 weeks ago and there honestly was no stampede of people at them, so still plenty of opportunities down there. We eventually bought the first one we looked at! Saw 4 late Fri afternoon, 15 Sat, 6 Sun and 4 on Monday!

Kael and Tekoz like this.
  17. Tim86

Tim86 Well-Known Member

House 2 sounds crap. Crap quality house, smaller block.

House 1 sounds like it's nice and has a bigger block.

I don't see the dilemma?

18. Jamie_

Jamie_ Well-Known Member

Why is the renovated house, on the bigger block, renting for less than the other?

legallyblonde likes this.
  19. ej89

ej89 Well-Known Member

Send it through if you want. I aint in a rush so wont be cutting you. If no.1 is the one I think it is I think the rental appraisal you've been given is lower than what u can get

Kael likes this.
  20. legallyblonde

legallyblonde Well-Known Member

The renovated one will surely be easier to let? Hopefully less maintenance?

Kael likes this.

Property Investors! Ready to Pay Less Tax? Estimate how much Property Depreciation you can claim on your Investment Property. Washington Brown's calculator is the first calculator to draw on real properties to determine an accurate estimate.