QLD Smoke Alarms - Brooks

Discussion in 'Property Management' started by Frosty123, 11th May, 2018.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
Tags:
  1. Frosty123

Frosty123 Well-Known Member

Hi all,

As most property owners in QLD already know, legislation changes will soon require all properties to have interconnected photoelectric smoke alarms in all bedrooms, in hallways that connect bedrooms with the rest of the dwelling and on every level.

I've had one 240VAC smoke detectors fail at my property, and after ringing around for a replacement it seems I have two options.

1) Replace it with another photoelectric hard wired smoke detector that will need to be changed out in a few years when they all need to be interconnected ($30 for battery, $130 for mains powered).
    2) Pay for a Brooks Smoke Detector which is capable of interconnecting with other Brooks smoke detectors installed in the future. ($170 for battery, $260 for mains powered).

My problem with option 2 is that there doesn't seem to be any competition for Brooks at the moment, and as such, their battery and mains powered alarms are very expensive.
    If I were to install a Brooks smoke detector, I imagine that the wireless technology in it would only work with other Brooks battery/mains smoke detectors around the house in the future when I have to comply.

Has anyone else replaced their smoke detectors already? Any alternative suppliers?

Thanks

2. Paul@PAS

Paul@PAS Tax, Accounting + SMSF + All things Property Tax Business Plus Member

3. Tahli

Tahli Member

4. Paul@PAS

Paul@PAS Tax, Accounting + SMSF + All things Property Tax Business Plus Member

That price assumes you also have a $129 annual inspection.
    First time poster. First time advertiser

5. Tahli

Tahli Member

First time advertiser??

6. Tahli

Tahli Member

@Frosty123 I wanted to let you know that in no way am I linked to Smoke Alarm Solutions. I've just purchased an IP on the Sunshine Coast and my PM emailed to let me know of my legal obligation re smoke alarms and suggested these guys. I only posted the link so you could compare. I've only ever owned property in Dublin and London so needed to be bought fully up to speed. I nearly fell over at the combined price. Thankfully I'd read a thread on here a few nights ago so had half a clue. It's certainly a step up from a battery operated alarm being tested with a broom handle once a year!

7. MrBubbleHead

MrBubbleHead Member

HG2000 – 240V PHOTOELECTRIC SMOKE ALARM | AS3786:2014

I've just fitted 60 of these this week they have the interconect an are 240v with 9v battery backed. Fire systems is what I do for my day job there are many detectors out on the market which carry the interconect feature.

Brooks are great quality but at a price

Tom Rivera likes this.
  8. Jeff James

Jeff James New Member

Hi all,
    I am thinking of going for the Nest Protect.
    A little expensive at $189, but I can install the battery versions in all the bedrooms and hallways.
    They self test, and 30 days before each lease renewal my PM can test them with a broom.
    Any opinions?

9. MrBubbleHead

MrBubbleHead Member

If your after peace of mind thats a good idea if it helps you. The standards only require pathways and main living areas to be covered.
    A worthy note if you only have two smokes installed theres only a one in two chance of faults occuring, if you have six theres more chance of faults later down the line.

If I find the detectors are older than five years and one is faulty I would replace the faulty one and recomend the others be replace as they have all experienced the same conditions so another fault would generally be around the corner.

10. Jeff James

Jeff James New Member

Thanks BubbleHead,

In Qld the new legislation requires 1 Alarm in each bedroom and 1 on each floor with 1 in the exit paths. I like the idea of your HG2000 alarms but in some of my properties this would cost a fortune to install. ie cement roofs, etc.
    So I was specifically looking at a battery photo with interconnection that would last ten years. So far the Brooks looks good, but $200. The original poster.
    The Nest seams to for fill the new legislation, has a lot more features, and you can buy in bulk for $160.
    I can set them up at home on my wifi network then take them to an IP, and with a couple of screws install them. They still interconnect via Bluetooth, and testing is a very simple job with 2 presses of the button.

11. Mat

Mat Well-Known Member

If you use a Nest, you must use the mains powered version. The battery one uses 6 AA batteries, which is non-compliant with the legislation (well, it's compliant with the legislation now, but won't be in 2022, so you'll end up paying again so might as well just go hardwired now).