QLD? Rental Reforms - Have Your Say in QLD Premier Proposed Reform

Discussion in 'Property Market Economics' started by trinity168, 27th Nov, 2019.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
Tags:
  1. trinity168

trinity168 Well-Known Member

OK ... where do we go from here?

2. thatbum

thatbum Well-Known Member

Are they particularly bad or something? I haven't been following.

EDIT: A quick lookup and scan later, it looks like nothing particularly controversial except the issue of not being able to end a tenancy for no grounds?

3. trinity168

4. trinity168

5. Rolo

Rolo Well-Known Member

tenants being able to make mods to your property without your consent is a little unnerving.

KayTea, wombat777 and kierank like this.
  6. kierank

kierank Well-Known Member

7. thatbum

Seems like pretty alarmist hyperbole from REIQ to me. And did they just make up the fact that rents would somehow increase?

I mean it looks like they're proposing some minimum rental standards, and a (rebuttable) presumption of allowing pets and minor alterations by a tenant - these things are arguably the legal position currently anyway, and being rolled out in other states.

Even the lack of no grounds termination is probably something that will be a near-future trend in Australia it looks like.

spludgey likes this.
  8. Melbourne_guy

Melbourne_guy Well-Known Member

That is a bit of a concern only insofar that there appears to be little information on who monitors the scale of modification or the quality of the work performed. It needs clarified, otherwise the devil will be in the detail once the proposed legislation starts its journey. At face value REIQ is scaremongering.

When taxpayers money is being used to fund private housing then the taxpayer has a right to demand minimal standards of habitation. It can't be a blank cheque so I'd go further and introduce mandatory annual gas and water quality checks and electrical checks. The sky won't fall in.

Not sure how they calculate the 5% increase but I'm sure landlords would be doing this already if they could.

9. Codie

Codie Well-Known Member

https://www.propertyology.com.au/queensland-rent-reforms-may-cost-tenants-5000-per-year/

10. Leeroy93

Leeroy93 Well-Known Member

Thanks for the link. I've submitted my response. I'm generally not in favour of laws that have potential to stifle investment. The average landlord/mum and dad investor has greater incentive to look after their most expensive assets than large scale developers.

11. Angel

Angel Well-Known Member

I'm up to page 40 of a 171 page document. So far nothing I have read bothers me.
    Disclaimer: Our properties are in excellent condition and we allow pets. The kitchens and bathrooms may not be trendy, but each property is already water and energy efficient with deadbolts on every window and door. If the rents increase another $100 a week each next year, then nice one. Having just read Propertyology's article, it is heavily biased to insensitise readers to purchase new investment properties.

EN710 likes this.
  12. thatbum

Looks like this article turns up the wild claims and hyperbole up to 11. "An extra $100/week or more"?

I wish.

And then author straight off the bat misrepresents some of the fundamental concepts of tenancy law. Landlords don't get to choose the who, what and how of the asset - that's part of what you exchange away temporarily in return for rent.

Then cue a bunch of charts that pretty much nothing to do with any rental law reform.

13. thatbum

I'm not sure what you mean by this in regards to the rental law reform proposals?

14. trinity168

15. Synergy

Synergy Well-Known Member

Last edited: 28th Nov, 2019
  16. thatbum

The recommended proposal included the tenants having to rectify any unwanted changes at the end of the tenancy though.

17. Paul@PAS

Paul@PAS Tax, Accounting + SMSF + All things Property Tax Business Plus Member

What is a pet resume ? This paper was obviously written by public servants.

wilso8948 likes this.
  18. trinity168

And, how much experience have you had wherein the property was returned in order of when it was rented out? (Provided fair wear and tear ... )

One of our IPs in Sydney, wardrobe rod must have been broken, replaced by an ill-fitting rod. One of the little things, which at the end of the day, adds up. The PM did not notice
    On a more expensive note, there was a big sharp indent on the window - which was obviously caused from the inside .. this was not noticed either. Suffice to say - I had to fight for it to be out of the tenants bond and strata. This is only because the IP is local and I was able to check it out. Suffice to say, we changed our PM after this incident.

Angel likes this.
  19. thatbum

So while that sucks (and I would probably add that your experience is a fairly common one), I don't see what it has to do with the proposed law reforms?

The stuff you mentioned is already a breach of the lease agreement, and it looks like you were able to go through the usual tribunal process and get compensation for your damages.

What's it have to do with the main 4 areas of residential tenancy law they're making changes to?

20. trinity168

You said, "The recommended proposal included the tenants having to rectify any unwanted changes at the end of the tenancy though."

And how do you propose to manage that? And what defines "rectified" ?