QLD remove expat tax?

Discussion in 'Property Market Economics' started by Dean Collins, 12th Jun, 2019.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
Tags:
  1. Dean Collins

Dean Collins Well-Known Member

Ive been told by a friend of mind that QLD removed the expat investor tax for Australian citizens but the only mention I can find is this - Queensland budgets hits property owners with higher taxes

Does anyone have any better links to the explanation on why they reversed their decision to tax Australians who didn't reside in QLD (/Australia)

The Gambler and Terry_w like this.
  2. Terry_w

Terry_w Lawyer, Tax Adviser and Mortgage broker in Sydney Business Member

Australian citizens and Australian permanent residents living overseas to be assessed as resident individuals From 30 June 2019, Australian citizens and Australian permanent residents holding permanent visas living, working or travelling overseas for an extended period will no longer be assessed as absentees. This means for land tax assessed from the 2019-20 financial year onwards, they will benefit from the higher tax-free threshold and lower rates of tax that currently only apply to resident individuals. They will also not have to pay the absentee surcharge. This change brings Queensland into line with other major Australian States.

https://budget.qld.gov.au/files/19-004_Budget 2019-20 Budget Statements - LANDTAX_3.pdf

3. Dean Collins

Thanks Terry.....on the ball as always :)

Appreciate it.

Terry_w likes this.
  4. Terry_w

Terry_w Lawyer, Tax Adviser and Mortgage broker in Sydney Business Member

I hadn't heard about it Dean, until you posted.

Dean Collins likes this.
  5. Dean Collins

My friend was on the ball then - they are here in NY and are thinking about buying their retirement forever home back in QLD but couldn't make the numbers work when back there recently - now who knows maybe its back on the cards.

Personally for us until the ATO reinstates the 50% LTCG discount for expats......my wife and I wont actually considering buying more IP's in Australia as 38%-45% LTCG just doesn't make this a viable investment when compared to 15% for USA equities.

The Gambler and Terry_w like this.
  6. Undervalued

Undervalued Member

Any news on NSW in this regard? Thinking of the land tax surcharge...