QLD QLD Realestate Agent Bull {cute little puppy} Beware

Discussion in 'Where to Buy' started by Tim86, 16th Aug, 2015.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. Perp

Perp Well-Known Member

As SNM said, you go to lightweight construction methods when you go up. We used Colorbond and fibre cement sheeting. There aren't (many) project home builders who do lightweight construction.

Sackie likes this.
  2. Tim86

Tim86 Well-Known Member

See I find building on posts so simple. I wouldn't know where to start with building on a slab.

With posts you just dig a hole, put the post in the hole, fill with concrete, screw a bearer to the post, nail a joist to the bearer, nail the floorboards onto the joist, nail the wall framing to the floorboards, clad house, put on roof. Done.

Jacque and Perp like this.
  3. Perp

Perp Well-Known Member

Couldn't agree more! But for some reason, it does seem to come in more expensive.

Tim86 likes this.
  4. Scott No Mates

Scott No Mates Well-Known Member

Easy as p!$$!ing in the breeze.

5. Peter Smith

Peter Smith New Member

Flood free??? I wonder how much the insurance would be?

6. Chilliblue

Chilliblue Well-Known Member

If the agent is misrepresenting the property then at the very least bring to their attention in writing.

7. Sackie

Sackie Well-Known Member

I think the agent is doing what's in the agent's best interest and best interest of their client - which is not to tell the complete picture especially when parts of the picture could be viewed as quite negative. As Tim has said the chance of flooding is I think 1% in any given year. To me, that's not the biggest factor of possible concern. If you want to demolish and build -it will have cost ramifications. If you want to sell, it will have flood stigma ramifications. So putting aside the 1% flooding occurrence, there are other negatives in my opinion to weigh up. I doubt this info is relayed to the buyer, but I don't know. I don't necessarily think the agent needs to point out all the negatives of the place. I think the agent was a little 'sneaky' in her wording though. Its up to the buyer to do their DD. To be frank, if I was selling this place and the agent was quick to point out all the possible negatives to buyers, he/she would be fired the same day. Just keeping it real.

Last edited: 17th Aug, 2015
  8. Chilliblue

Leo, if the advertisement stated flood free and you make a purchase with that comment taken into consideration then vendor, the agent, the agency (and possibly the franchisor if it is a franchised RE) can all be sued if the properties does flood.

Any statement made by an agent should be true, accurate and able to be substantiated. There are fines for businesses that mislead consumers. It does not matter whether a false or misleading statement was intentional or not.

From the ACCC's website:

What you should do in advertising
    When presenting information about products or services to customers, be sure to:

• give current and correct information
    • use simple language
    • check that the overall impression is accurate
    • back up claims with facts and documented evidence where appropriate
    • note important limitations or exemptions
    • correct any misunderstandings
    • be prepared to substantiate.
    What you should not do in advertising
    Do not:

• guess the facts
    • omit relevant information
    • make ambiguous or contradictory statements or use unnecessary jargon
    • make promises you cannot keep, or make predictions without reasonable basis
    • offer goods or services without a reasonable basis for believing you can deliver them.

9. Sackie

Sackie Well-Known Member

HI @Chilliblue I agree with you re the above. The agent used the term 'Flood Free'. I don't know legally or technically how that is viewed for this particular property. She may have done her research and found that the term she used was within legal allowances. I have no idea. But I agree with you 100% that if she broke the law then its a big no no. No arguments from me there.

Tim86 likes this.
  10. Scott No Mates

Scott No Mates Well-Known Member

A couple of bored piers, ring beam and voila - watercourse problem solved (bearers and joists for a timber framed cottage would be cheaper).

11. Kael

Kael Well-Known Member

They mentioned the following in their ad:

Does that cover them from the issues mentioned? I see real estate agents do this quite a bit.

12. shorty

shorty Well-Known Member

13. Chilliblue

Not it will not cover them and too many of them think that it does.

We provide our clients with the opportunity to select their own investments from a wide range of ASX listed securities. We provide the research to ensure your selections will achieve the goals. This is the value of advice.