Qld - Pool Safety Certificate & Inspection

Discussion in 'Repairs & Maintenance' started by janelm, 8th Dec, 2020.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. janelm

janelm Member

We bought an investment property with a pool 3 years ago. Recently we received a notice from the Gold Coast City Council notifying us the pool safety certificate expired last year and we must get a new safety certificate before a deadline. We rushed to get this done and it turned out to be a frustrating, time consuming and very expensive exercise. We had to hire contractors to address a few issues with the fence from the initial inspection. We didn't realise rental properties with pools needed to renew pool safety certificates every 2 years.

Do other owners of investment properties with pools renew their certificate before it expires or do you wait until you get a notice from the council?

2. wylie

wylie Moderator Staff Member

I wonder if you let it expire and then something bad happens in your non-certified pool, if your insurer would leave you out in the cold?

If I had an IP with a pool, I'd make sure I had the certificate and renew it just as I renew insurance.

janelm likes this.
  3. Marg4000

Marg4000 Well-Known Member

When your driving licence expires, do you renew it or wait for a notice from the police?

Of course the responsible action is to renew BEFORE expiry. Otherwise your insurance won’t cover you in the event of a tragedy if your fencing is non-compliant and certification expired.

4. kierank

kierank Well-Known Member

I would never buy an IP with a pool. Too big a problem in the ass!!!

IMHO, pools are only for PPORs.

5. Stoffo

Stoffo Well-Known Member

Just like smoke alarms, rates/land tax, wear and tear/painting, or insurance, the maintenance cost and compliance requirements are an additional cost that need to be factored into your management of an IP to decide how much rent you should also be charging.

A well set up modern pool is almost set and forget for general maintenance these days, only issue usually is tenant failing to clean/clear the skimmer box, causing the pump to overload.

janelm likes this.

Build Passive Income WITHOUT Dropping $15K On Buyers Agents Each Time! Helping People Achieve PASSIVE INCOME Using Our Unique Data-Driven System, So You Can Confidently Buy Top 5% Growth & Cashflow Property, Anywhere In Australia