QLD hard wired smoke alarm - does this still need to be certified/ tested annually?

Discussion in 'Property Management' started by Threebythree, 20th Feb, 2016.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
Tags:
  1. Threebythree

Threebythree Active Member

We have a unit in Brisbane city where the body corporate annually does their fire inspection and validation for the building. The contractors come in and quickly test the alarms and then leave.

That being said; do we still need to have someone come in to 'certify' this and re-test this ourselves?
    I'm a little confused as isn't this verification that the QLD law refers to?

2. dabbler

dabbler Well-Known Member

If I was paying for it through strata fees, I would ask for the company to provide something saying unit has been inspected and compliant.

3. 733

733 Well-Known Member

Hard wired smoke alarms have a battery operated back up that must be tested annually

Threebythree likes this.
  4. Threebythree

Threebythree Active Member

Dabbler - that's a good point and will ask them in the future.

If that's the only thing that needs to be tested, shouldn't be a problem for PM/ handyman to push a button? (As the hard-wired smoke alarm has been tested) or am i being a little naive here?

733 likes this.
  5. Scott No Mates

Scott No Mates Well-Known Member

If you have granted access to the certifier of the building and they have teated the unit so that your unit is covered on the strata's AFSS, then you don't have to do anything else.

The certifiers would have checked the fire doors, locks and any other items on the certificate.

If you don't give access, your unit will still need to be tested in order to validate insurance and provide the AFSS. that would mean engaging someone appropriately qualified to test the smokies, door locks, door closers etc to provide individual certification for your unit.