QLD Elections

Discussion in 'Politics' started by luckyone, 20th Oct, 2020.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
?

Who will you be voting for in the QLD election?

Poll closed 1st Nov, 2020.
  1. Labor

48.1%
  2. LNP

33.3%
  3. Greens

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. One Nation

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  5. Clive Palmer’s United Australia Party

3.7%
  6. Other

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  7. Can't vote in Queensland

14.8%
  1. geoffw

geoffw Moderator Staff Member

Perp, gman65 and kierank like this.
  2. Firefly99

Firefly99 Well-Known Member

And nothing is truer today after those storms last night - today it’s calm, hot and sunny. Perfect beach weather.

3. kierank

kierank Well-Known Member

The storms were OK but being without power for 12 hours was a pain in the butt.

Luckily, we have batteries - so last night we had lights, TV (for the election coverage), cold beers, ...

Even the batteries ran out of juice around 2am but that was OK.

Lizzie and Firefly99 like this.
  4. Traveller99

Traveller99 Well-Known Member

People voted for familiarity in a time of difficulty/crisis. The election is mostly as expected I think. I’m just surprised Labor’s majority didn’t increase by even more.

5. Tony3008

Tony3008 Well-Known Member

I've never once regretted my decision to move to Aus from UK. As an innocent newcomer ten years back, one of the things that really impressed was preferential voting, as opposed to first-past-the-post voting in UK. It seemed so mature to be able to say 'Please vote me, but if you really don't want to, Jim is a good bloke so I've made him #2'

Instead, as I was reminded last night, preferencing is one big cynical game. In South Brisbane the LNP preference the Greens (with whom they have nothing in common) over Labor to (successfully) get Jackie Trad out. Some of the preferencing here in the Melbourne City Council election seems to follow a similar strategy: try and keep out anyone not on your side who might be vaguely good at the job lest they get elected and hold you to account. I still love Australia .... except the politics.

6. Firefly99

Firefly99 Well-Known Member

Not sure if many people actually follow the how to vote cards though. I think most people make up their own mind about preferences.

Perp likes this.
  7. Player

Player Well-Known Member

Businesses south of the Qld border are grateful for the weather girl continuing to ban Sydney from entering Queensland. All manner of accommodation and other hospitality businesses are huge beneficiaries all the way from Byron Bay too Merimbula.

The winner yesterday is a more accomplished politician. Oh, woeth Queensland tourism :(

8. Serveman

Serveman Well-Known Member

If one values the virtues of truth as being of the highest regard to intellectual endeavour and decision making then it is quite evident through critical free thinking that the election in Queensland was won on the politics of fear, not of any educational decision making.
    Obtaining a majority result by the lhis party will open up a greater opportunity for the government to instil more dependence on its people on the government, hardly the ideals that property investors should aspire to. It’s a case of victims recruiting victims and the government looting the rest.

Angel likes this.
  9. Serveman

Serveman Well-Known Member

I think people are over emphasising Murdoch media when there are so many other media organisations and institutions that lean the other way.
    I think what it is right now is that a majority of people are putting a higher priority on social policy over economic policy.
    This of course may change once people go further down this track and realise there is no more money to go around.

Firefly99 and gman65 like this.
  10. Lizzie

Lizzie Well-Known Member

What I do love is compulsory voting

Coffee and gman65 like this.
  11. willair

willair Well-Known Member Premium Member

Anyone who knew Labor was going to win have any idea who will be the first 4 in the Melbourne Cup?.

12. random

random Well-Known Member

God why do you like that it's just more nannyism, wonder if anywhere else in the world fines you if you don't vote .

13. Lizzie

Lizzie Well-Known Member

I find compulsory voting makes people more aware and engaged in their local/state/federal government policies and politicking, and gives them a chance to "have a say" in such policy that will affect their everyday lives .... I am also a firm believer that if you choose not to submit a valid vote then you have no right to voice an opinion on the decisions made by the various levels of government

Player and kierank like this.
  14. Antoni0

Antoni0 Well-Known Member

You'd be surprised at how many people have no idea for what they voted for. I saw a whole heap of people on a private facebook page slagging off at a certain party not realising that the opposition put laws in place that negatively effected their group.

Angel likes this.
  15. Angel

Angel Well-Known Member

I doubt the general public read newspapers any more. If you have to pay a subscription to read the murdoch press online, or any other paper for that matter, I suspect average Joe or Jill just watches Kochie on Sunrise or Ali on The Project for their political edjumacation. When news comes into your facebook feed for free, I even wonder how many locals thought they were voting for or against Trump.

wylie likes this.
  16. kierank

kierank Well-Known Member

Looks like my view was right :rolleyes:.

Lizzie likes this.