QLD Qld - Bill for changes to rental tenancy acts introduced 26 May 2021

Discussion in 'Property Management' started by Lavissa Waters, 1st Jun, 2021.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
Tags:
  1. Lavissa Waters

Lavissa Waters Well-Known Member

2. B7B

B7B Well-Known Member

Doesn't look good. Gives even more power to the tenant. Increased notice times.
    Adds more cannot ask questions which makes it harder to screen the bad tenants.
    No new protections for the owners from bad tenants.
    Removes the ability to set the rent amount, effectively removing freedom of trade and stops the market setting the rent. Really bad if you ever offered someone favourable rent then try to sell, the new buyer is locked into a low rent base even if they did renos to improve the place. Ie change from 3 bed to 4 bed.

I guess the government will have to come to the party and provide more social housing. Which is really what this is doing by defacto. You buy the house government tells you what you can do with it.

DoingOK and Michael Mitchell like this.
  3. B7B

B7B Well-Known Member

Interesting read on who was consulted. Appears to be no mention of the owners of the properties.

4. Lavissa Waters

The rent control sections are interesting. I fear that rents may not ever go back down again as lessors will worry about setting too 'low' a baseline. Controlling the market means that both highs and lows are restricted....

Tom Rivera and B7B like this.
  5. Lavissa Waters

I think real estate groups were consulted. The Qld Govt indicated they understood that there would be a temporary reduction of private real estate properties as some IP owners would exit the market.

6. B7B

B7B Well-Known Member

Notice there was no restrictions on how much or how often a tenant can ask for a decrease.

7. B7B

B7B Well-Known Member

There was no mention of them in the consultation section of the documents just the social housing champions.

Michael Mitchell likes this.
  8. Lavissa Waters

I think most people would be happier to pay a little more tax if it meant that everyone who wanted and was willing to take care of a home could have one provided at an affordable price. It reduces a lot of flow on problems from homelessness and insecure housing, especially for our disabled and senior citizens. I don't think social housing and private investors has ever been a good fit. NRAS is winding down for a reason...

9. Lavissa Waters

Help shape Queensland’s tenancy laws | Residential Tenancies Authority

Renting in Queensland | Have your say about Queensland Government programs and initiatives

https://qpc.blob.core.windows.net/wordpress/2019/11/RIQ-Consultation-RIS_FINAL.pdf

.... Further consultation will be undertaken to gauge the experiences of tenants, property owners, property managers, peak organisations, and other members of the Queensland community, as the Better Renting Future reforms are implemented....

I think you are right friend. I do remember REIQ or a similar body being fairly vocal during the consultation but it doesn't appear to be represented clearly in the final document.

10. Ronen

Ronen Well-Known Member

Oh my.... And I thought the new VIC rules are bad.
    QLD took it to a new level - the rent control part is quite crazy. Not even allowing "market" rates. Only indexed. That's crazy.

11. Piston_Broke

Piston_Broke Well-Known Member

Lots of goodies in there, and the best are under the "human rights" section.

- Removing a lessor’s ability to evict a tenant to sell the property
    -Limit rent increases to once every 24 months and byno more than CPI per year
    -Give tenants the right to keep a pet unless the lessorapplies successfully to theQueensland Civil and Administrative Tribunal
    -Bill permit the tenant tomake minor modifications to the lessor’sproperty without the lessor’s prior consent, including: Painting walls Installing picture hooks or nails Installing furniture anchors Installing shelvin

And then hide fascism under the guise of democracy
    The purpose of potential limitations on lessors’ propertyrights are to improve tenants’ rightsto enjoy a safe and secure home. In my opinion thisis consistent with a free and democraticsociety

Property owners are now responsable for solving poverty and homelessness, not the government.
    It is my opinion that the potential limitations onproperty rights are outweighed by the benefits to the community.
    The social and economic impacts of the Bill,including to improve housing affordability, address homelessness and housing insecurity andreduce wealth inequality, are sufficiently importantpublic benefits to justify the potentiallimitations on lessors’ right to property.

[​IMG]

12. wylie

wylie Moderator Staff Member

So this bill has been introduced (for discussion?) but not yet passed?

13. Sackie

Sackie Well-Known Member

It's complete and total BS. But nothing new and certainly not unexpected from the nutties on that side of the aisle .

Once again reinforces why I'd never, ever, ever vote that side.

14. Piston_Broke

Piston_Broke Well-Known Member

Yes. To be precise it was introduced by the greens.
    This is the Bill as introduced into Parliament by Amy MacMahon, Member for South Brisbane on 26 May 2021
    The radical left party that does not believe in private property.

15. wylie

wylie Moderator Staff Member

Ok... so introduced but not passed. Honestly, if this sort of thing is passed, I'd move more quickly to something other than rental properties.

TheRons, luckyone, Toon and 7 others like this.
  16. Firefly99

Firefly99 Well-Known Member

Errrr WTF. You have to give 6 months notice to not renew a lease if not renewing to do renovations?! And then you have to offer the tenant a new lease when the renovations are complete?!?

Propin and craigc like this.
  17. Pumpkin

Pumpkin Well-Known Member

I must admit since Covid, I have not followed the 2019 "Rental Reform" and Strata Reform.
    But have attended a Seminar where the Previous Commissioner of BCCM, Chris Iron was one of the Speakers.
    Someone asked the question regarding the status of the Rental Reforms, and his reply was something like "in the la-la Land".

Reading all those changes in Vic, we are not looking forward. But has lost faith with the State Govt... they'll just push thru whilst the general public, Investors, PM are just too tired to response, so the Bill can and will pass ....

18. Lavissa Waters

I think it's a private members' bill. They don't have a good history of succeeding if they were not introduced by the party that controls the house. I do think Qld legislation will be eventually modelled on the new Vic laws. This bill seems fairly similar but even the Vic law still reserve the lessor giving a notice to vacate without grounds if it's the first/initial lease from what I've read.

Until something actually passes parliament it's business as usual.

TheRons, Michael Mitchell and willair like this.
  19. B7B

B7B Well-Known Member

There is plenty of examples in our communities of people being provided with "free" housing that have no respect for the house or those providing them (Taxpayers). I for one am not prepared to pay more tax so others can be "given" what I have had to work for.

craigc, Coen, kierank and 2 others like this.
  20. Lavissa Waters

Yep, it's human nature to place little value on things that you haven't contributed to. I wish we could find a way to get the balance right.

craigc and Michael Mitchell like this.