QDC: Setbacks / clearance for easements and rear lots

Discussion in 'Development' started by SimonKia, 12th Jul, 2015.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. SimonKia

SimonKia Active Member

I want to have a go with my first development :)

I have a 1500m^2 block that I want to subdivide to 1000m^2 rear, and 500m^2 front. There are a few things I don't understand about QDC's mp1.2:

1. Does an access easement count as land when considering site cover? The front lot will have about 100m^2 as an access easement for the back block. If the maximum cover allowed is 50%, does that mean I can build 250m^2 or 200m^2?

2. If a 4m easement is against the fence line, does the side boundary clearance count as part of that 4m? Or do I have to add another 1.5m for a total of 5.5m between side boundary and new build? I think I can build right up against the easement?

3. What is the minimum setback for the rear lot house? It says "road setback" to be 6m, which applies obviously to the front lot. But since the rear lot is no where near a road, does it apply to the easement? Or does it just not apply at all and its simply considered a side boundary - 1.5m?

4. The rear block has no car port. Can I put a carport within the rear blocks front setback? Or would the setback have to be added on to the front of the car port?

Once I'm confident the design I want can fit, should my next step be a town planner to make sure there are no issues with sewerage etc? Anyone recommend a good one in logan?

Thanks!

Last edited: 12th Jul, 2015
  2. gaiusb

gaiusb Member

Hi mate,

1. The easement is counted as the part of the land, and therefore site cover includes the easement. I would have thought you'd make the easement part of the back lot rather than the front lot, which will help you with the site cover issue of the front lot.
    2. There is no minimum setback to the easement, just the min setback to the actual property boundary. So you could build right up to the easement so long as your eave and gutter does not overhang it. However if you are putting services like a new sewer connection point in that easement then you need to look at minimum distances to the infrastructure as well.
    3. There is no issue with the road boundary setback for the back lot, as technically the road boundary is way at the front and not count at the back of the easement. So you would essentially treat all your boundaries as side/rear. Generally speaking a single storey house has a min 1.5m setback to side/rear, 2 storey has a 2m setback - both measured to outer-most projection (the fascia).
    4. Again, the back lot doesn't have a road setback so it's treated as a side. You can have a carport up to 9m in length right up to the side boundary and comply with the QDC.

3. SimonKia

SimonKia Active Member

Thanks for the response!

The front lot is 500m^2 of which about 100m^2 is needed as driveway to access back lot.

If I make the easement part of front lot then front lot is 500sqm, so I can build 250sqm.

If I make the easement part of rear lot, then front lot is only 400sqm, so I could only build 200sqm.

Is that right?

4. RPI

RPI SDA Provider, Town Planner, Former Property Lawyer

If you are subdividing anyone, get a DA for the house build so you can go over your footprint. You can have it on title of rear or easement on front lot. Normally with your size block you would do at as part of rear block.

5. gaiusb

gaiusb Member

Yeah that sounds right but consult your planner to see if you can pick which lot you can put the easement on in the subdivision. I think it would be messy with the easement on the front lot, just to avoid the site cover issue.