Qcat for faulty solar that isnt being repaired?

Discussion in 'Legal Issues' started by Tim86, 30th Apr, 2018.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
Tags:
  1. Tim86

Tim86 Well-Known Member

Hi, Fairtrading suggested I take the company that installed my solar system to qcat. I wont say the name but the solar certainly isnt truly valuable.

What are your thoughts on this. Its a $4400 solar system that broke within a couple of days of installation (faulty inverter). The company has still not repaired it after almost 5 months. They are just giving me the run around. Not calling back. Cancelling appointments without telling me. Blatantly lying.

So what should I do?

I've lost a fair chunk of money due to no solar generation for 5 months. Plus the time chasing them up. Plus the intetest Im paying on the money spent. Plus the 5 months of warranty thats been used up.

Its not good...

2. Paul@PAS

Paul@PAS Tax, Accounting + SMSF + All things Property Tax Business Plus Member

Weigh up legal action for damages for the losses as well as the product fault. Do you have evidence of requesting the fault be dealt with and their failure to do so ? And their excuses ?

If it broke within a couple of days that falls within the expected time for consumer remedy of replacement OR repair. ACCC may also have interest in this company and can impose quite substantial penalties well beyond state QCAT

A solicitor may get a better outcome than QCAT. Tribunals are normally only able to have the part / equipment rectified

May also be worth having another solar installer verify the workmanship and quality as your claim may be larger if you were given dud parts

Tim86 likes this.
  3. dabbler

dabbler Well-Known Member

On your own home ?

Prob not a lot you can do, if you know is inverter, ask the company direct or the main importer & it will never be an urgent repair IMO.

If inverter is replaced, it has warranty, it should reset.

4. Joynz

Joynz Well-Known Member

When my inverter broke about 3 years into the (5 year, I think) warranty, it was replaced - but they didn't start the warranty again, just carried it on.

Tom Rivera likes this.
  5. RPI

RPI SDA Provider, Town Planner, Former Property Lawyer

QCAT is an interesting space. As long as the company is not going under then my guys could do a letter of demand and progress to an initial claim and statement of claim filed in mags court pretty reasonably as it looks very straight forward. Letter of demand usually works in these circumstances.

Tom Rivera, Tim86, EN710 and 2 others like this.
  6. dabbler

dabbler Well-Known Member

I do not think they have too.......I would just buy own better inverter after 3 years if having trouble....is an area where it is moving fast.....

7. Ted Varrick

Ted Varrick Well-Known Member

@Tim86 when the chips are down, go hard or go home:-

F.U. Tube - The Checkout - ABC TV

I'm sure the whole PChat community cant wait to see the future Checkout episode with your video.

Kassy and Perthguy like this.
  8. Tim86

Tim86 Well-Known Member

Thanks for everyones replies. Sorry for my late reply. Ive been flat out on my place.

Ill have to give you a call Rpi. Thanks.

Tom Rivera likes this.
  9. JDM

JDM Well-Known Member

QCAT is cheap and easy with no lawyers required. Why not have a go yourself?

Price Accounting are a leading tax service for your property + tax issues. Contact Paul@PFI for property focussed tax services using our client portal access, digital signing and checklist based approach for best pricing. Free client pack included.