QBCC, Home Warranty Insurance

Discussion in 'Renovation & Home Improvement' started by Pumpkin, 5th Sep, 2017.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. Pumpkin

Pumpkin Well-Known Member

Especially to those in Queensland, hope you can enlighten....

We have got all our tradies (Plumber, Tiler, Plasterer) and it suddenly dawn on me that we need Home Warranty Insurance. (DO we??) We dont have a Builder and not interested in becoming Owner Builder.

To me this is absurd. We have got at length to ensure the Tradies we employ has licence with QBCC. And now to find out this.... Bbrrgggh....

2. Scott No Mates

Scott No Mates Well-Known Member

No you don't require insurance - however each of your subbies is required to provide you with a certificate of coverage (do not pay them until they provide you with the certificate). This cost should be shown in their quotes as you pay for it.

Unless you have an OB licence, you can't get OB insurance to cover the works that you undertake, subbies will still need to get their insurance policy.

Getting a legitimate contractor is not going to great lengths, it is the law.

3. Pumpkin

Pumpkin Well-Known Member

Thanks this is most useful.

What I meant was we had a few subbies came onsite only to find out they are not licensed, or has one that expired. These are thru recommendations so we were rather shocked.....

4. Scott No Mates

Scott No Mates Well-Known Member

The Fair Trading website has the facility to check a trade/builder/property licence (at least in NSW).

5. KayTea

KayTea Well-Known Member

My understanding (having gone to hell and back with this over the past 12 months) is that if more than $3300 worth of work is being done, and insurance policy to cover it is required.

But good luck claiming on if the tradies do a bad job........