Q? + showing off my DIY Wardrobes

Discussion in 'Renovation & Home Improvement' started by WestOz, 20th Feb, 2017.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
Tags:
  1. WestOz

WestOz Well-Known Member

What I've been doing the last couple of days (pics below) to a soon to be IP (current PPOR) that had no robes.

The doors are brand new (in the box) 2000x600 gloss white with Ali trim from a salvage yard for $20ea. Docked one down to make the two desks in the small rooms.
    Melamine I got off GT from a shop fitter who pulled it out of retail store, 10 sheets for $50.
    Chest of draws is This one from Ikea again off GT for $100.
    2 x boxes of These + a few screws.

Now for the Q?
    I have power & TV sockets in the ceiling above the chest of draws, I had a tall-boy there with a 32" (550 High) sitting on it.
    I can make a wide shelf between the the robes 600 from the ceiling, place a 900x900 mirror I have under it. However someone (incl myself) might like to put a larger TV up there, the gap between the robes is 1600.
    I can't make up my mind so wondering what you think, leave as is in-case someone wants to put a bigger telly there, or go the mirror & shelf???

Photo 20-2-17, 4 26 32 pm.jpg

Photo 20-2-17, 4 28 11 pm.jpg

Perthguy and Starbright like this.
  2. Westminster

Westminster Tigress at Tiger Developments Business Member

I'd leave as is - good work!!

3. Phase2

Phase2 Well-Known Member

Looks good!

I wouldn't bother putting anything there for a rental, except maybe installing a decent wall mount for a potentially heavy mirror. (at least you know the tenant won't screw it up). If the tenant wants to put a TV there, they can just sit it on the drawers. I've previously had a 50" plasma on those MALM drawers for about 3 years, and they took the load easily.

4. WestOz

WestOz Well-Known Member

I was thinking that regarding a TV wall bracket, so the top of draws is free for make-up etc (its a 3x1).
    I'm a bachelor so hard to look at it from a female perspective, why I was thinking mirror/shelf, but as a bloke, a big bloody telly

Perthguy likes this.
  5. Phase2

Phase2 Well-Known Member

It's hard to second-guess what your tenants will want and that's why I'd leave it as it is. Ask 3 ladies and you'll probably get three different answers, ask 3 guys and they'll agree on TV, but where do they put the Xbox/PS?? :)

I didn't mean to put in the wall mount for a TV, just put the anchors in for a mirror/picture or whatever else they might want to hang there.

WestOz likes this.
  6. bob shovel

bob shovel Well-Known Member

looks great!
    leave as is. no point trying to guess what the potential tenant wants. they could use in a variety of ways as it is, you have the outlets for a tv and space for them to stand a mirror. or it could be used for something totally different!

WestOz likes this.
  7. Foreshadow

Foreshadow Well-Known Member

Considering you already have the mirror. Id put the mirror in between the robes, but no shelf.

Looks a bit bare to me as is. That way tenants can still put a TV in front if they want or just use the mirror.

bob shovel and WestOz like this.
  8. Westminster

Harness your bachelor - that chest of drawers is no good for make up application with a mirror

WestOz likes this.
  9. Jess Peletier

Jess Peletier Mortgage Broker & Finance Strategy, Aus Wide! Business Member

No? Actually, lighting between the wardrobes would be the biggest problem.

If you put a mirror there it also needs lights. :D

10. Westminster

Maybe it's me? I much prefer putting make up on standing up so standing in front of the chest of drawers would put me too far from the mirror to see properly. (old and blind)
    So even though there is one bathroom in this house, the female of the house will commandeer it and everyone can wait :p

Jess Peletier likes this.
  11. WestOz

WestOz Well-Known Member

Update;
    Decided to go mirror & shelf, will fit up to a 43" telly, space either side to put a dvd player, speakers, whatever.
    I have an led strip light I could add but would have to muck around adding a switch etc, contemplating but don't think I'll bother.

Mirror came of an old dresser, made up the frame with some pine.

Photo 26-2-17, 7 07 54 pm.jpg