Putting a washing machine in the cupboard of my bedroom

Discussion in 'Renovation & Home Improvement' started by Blue_Pelican, 12th Jul, 2015.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. Blue_Pelican

Blue_Pelican New Member

Hi Guys! Scary proposition perhaps. I have just bought a very small two bedroom villa at the Entrance North with a tiny kitchen 1.67 m x 1.73 m and bathroom roughly the same size. There is a communal laundry in the complex however having my own washing machine installed with a waste pipe in the bedroom next to the kitchen plumbing could add value. Any advice on a path to follow or other ideas appreciated. do I need DA and strata approval? many thanks!

Propertunity likes this.
  2. Propertunity

Propertunity Well-Known Member

Putting a laundry in a bedroom cupboard is not a value-adding proposition.

Jacque and Gockie like this.
  3. Blue_Pelican

Blue_Pelican New Member

4. skater

skater Well-Known Member

Agreed!

The property is what it is. Not a lot you can do in this instance.

5. Chilliblue

Chilliblue Well-Known Member

Agree it is not a suitable idea. However, if you choose to go down that path you will need to forward plans including drawing to the strata agent for their approval.

If the property is small, do you really want to loose the storage space?

6. vtt

vtt Well-Known Member

Agree with Propertunity. Don't do it. Sure, it's convenient to have an inside laundry. No it is not appropriate to put a washing machine in your bedroom.

I can't see a floor plan but if you absolutely HAD to put a washing machine somewhere I would make a cupboard outside the kitchen or bathroom (or in it if you can) that holds a washer/dryer.

Having said that I can't see the value in doing this at all to such a small place. Save your money and add true value elsewhere.

vtt
    :D

7. Westminster

Westminster Tigress at Tiger Developments Business Member

I'm going to go against the flow here and say I've seen this done before, will try and find a picture for you and whilst it was a little odd, it did make the place easier to rent. As a PPOR not everything you do will add value but may make your life easier.

I'm not sure if they got BC permission to do it or just did it on the quiet.

I'd be painting those blue walls too :)

Blue_Pelican likes this.
  8. Paul@PAS

Paul@PAS Tax, Accounting + SMSF + All things Property Tax Business Plus Member

A tap and waste water beside the bed will never add value. What makes a bedroom a better idea? A toilet in bedroom is like a gaol also and you didnt consider that. Buyers will run. Buyers want a laundry area. Even the uk concept of a utility cabinet loses buyers.

9. wylie

wylie Moderator Staff Member

Do you mean a European laundry behind doors in a kitchen loses value?

10. Blue_Pelican

Blue_Pelican New Member

Those blue walls are certainly going! Would i need council permission as well as strata?

11. Blue_Pelican

Blue_Pelican New Member

Thanks Westminster!

12. JonoD

JonoD Active Member

HaRd to tell from the picture, but it looks like you could fit a washer in the kitchen if you wanted, you'd have to do it as part of an overall kitchen update -adding some above counter cupboards and washer under sink maybe

13. Squeakywheel

Squeakywheel Well-Known Member

I think that you'd be able to fit a twin tub in the kitchen. If you could drain it into the sink you wouldn't need to do any other work.

14. JustInTime

JustInTime Member

Correct if I'm wrong, but doesnt a washing machine require an adequate amount of ventilation, or some sort of ventilation fan if in an enclosed space ?
    Are gasses and heat emitted from the machine in operation ? such as greenhouse gasses ? that could cause harm in prolonged exposure.

15. AndrewTDP

AndrewTDP Well-Known Member

European Laundry in the kitchen is what would be a much better option.

16. Zos

Zos Active Member

I can't see a floor plan so I have to ask. The kitchen left hand corner what is on the opposing side of he wall? Is it the lounge room? You could have the washing machine tucked in under the kitchen bench in that left hand corner and access would be from the other side of the wall. Maybe behind a little door if you want to keep it out of sight.

Or like others have said incorporate it into the kitchen somehow. Lots of European flats do that as they have minimal space.