Purchasing Unit Through SMSF...

Discussion in 'Superannuation, SMSF & Personal Insurance' started by David Thiu, 29th Jul, 2018.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. Terry_w

Terry_w Lawyer, Tax Adviser and Mortgage broker in Sydney Business Member

If you want to cause a SMSF of which you have an interest in to purchase residential property from your mum?

Get your mum to sell the property to a unit trust, wait 3 years and then the SMSF could buy the units. it could even borrow to buy the units, but this would probably need to be a related party loan

2. FXD

FXD Well-Known Member

LOL. Sorry I digress from the OP's question ... my question was specifically in response to your
    comment on that article and the example purchase in it and the structuring set up as per the
    example.

Never mind as I've gone side track now.

Rgds,
    FXD

3. Paul@PAS

Paul@PAS Tax, Accounting + SMSF + All things Property Tax Business Plus Member

Could be a bank (more likely to be a bank in my experience) ... But in both cases other property must be used as loan security. And its even possible for FXD to be a unitholder and neg gear his portion of trust units with the SMSF positive geared on its.

The problem is how the trust must wait 3 years + 1 day. If mum allows the trust time to repay her it means the three years hasnt started. The trust must be debt free for the three years. (+ other conditions)

4. Terry_w

Terry_w Lawyer, Tax Adviser and Mortgage broker in Sydney Business Member

I mistakenly thought you are asking about the op's question. What were you referring to?