Purchasing through trust or SMSF?

Discussion in 'Accounting & Tax' started by arewethereyet, 22nd Jul, 2022.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. arewethereyet

arewethereyet Well-Known Member

Based on my initial reading about family trusts & SMSFs, I don't believe they'd be useful for the following scenario I'm considering:

* SINK, high tax bracket
    * Cash purchase of an investment property
    * Expecting +5% gross yield & minimal capital gain

I'm on the fence about whether to pursue this option, versus investing in bonds/stocks, or even leaving it in my PPOR's offset; however I like the comfort of having a debt-free, rent-free bolt hole I could use if a loss in income made mortgage repayments too challenging.

If I were inclined to get serious about this, given the factors I've mentioned, would you recommend investigating making the purchase via a trust or SMSF?

2. Paul@PAS

Paul@PAS Tax, Accounting + SMSF + All things Property Tax Business Plus Member

You are asking tor licensed financial advice?

No.

3. arewethereyet

arewethereyet Well-Known Member

I don't understand your response.

Are you asking me if I'm asking for licensed financial advice? If I knew I was, then I wouldn't be asking.

Or is that misplaced punctuation and you meant to use a '.' and make that a statement? (I'm assuming it's not snark)

And does your 'No.' mean you don't believe it's worth exploring using a trust or SMSF to make that purchase?

4. Terry_w

Terry_w Lawyer, Tax Adviser and Mortgage broker in Sydney Business Member

Considering it is possible to cap the income at 30% with a trust and bucket company or 15% with a SMSF I thought it would be useful to consider a trust at least or a company.

Not a good idea to use cash to buy an investment property generally, and you could set up a trust or a company holding a property by lending it the money to buy.

High income could mean cheaper second hand property so a company could result in some tax savings worth considering.

Think about the tax consequences before using this money, no matter what the subject.

No. But I would recommend you get some legal advice. If your SMSF wants to invest the trustee could get financial advice as could you if you want to contribute to super.