Purchasing properties with trees in backyard

Discussion in 'What to buy' started by swaugh, 9th Jun, 2022.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
Tags:
  1. swaugh

swaugh Active Member

Hi all,
    Need some advice with buying a property with lot of tree growth in the backyard. As a buyer what are the things I need to be aware of and any potential long term risks?

2. Shawn6334

Shawn6334 Active Member

What is the property size? How many trees are we talking about?

I bought 700 sqm property with 3 trees (each 10 to 15 meters in length) in the backyard and 2 small trees on the front and 2 on the nature strip.

Got a quote for $1900 to cut down one tree in the backyard. Didn't do it. Expect to have some rough arguments with your neighbours.

I call council or electricity provider once every 2 years to prune the trees on the nature strip as it stops garbage trucks from lifting the bin or disturbs the power lines.

swaugh likes this.
  3. swaugh

swaugh Active Member

Thx for the reply. yes land size size is about the same and this is in QLD. There are more than 10 trees from what I can recall. Apart from what you mentioned already is there a risk of trees roots affecting the structure of the house? I am just thinking if I need to give the property a miss if the maintenance costs are going to be high.

4. Shawn6334

Shawn6334 Active Member

10 is definitely too many for a property of that size IMO. All my trees are at the far end at the back. If they are closer to the house (within 3 meters), yes I think there is constant maintenance cost to clean the gutters.

Not sure about roots affecting the structure.