Purchased PPOR rented for a few weeks

Discussion in 'Accounting & Tax' started by Vincent32, 22nd Apr, 2021.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. Vincent32

Vincent32 New Member

Hello everyone!

I was wondering if anyone can give me guidance. I bought a place (signed end of Feb) and it settled last week. The property is currently tenanted and the tenant is moving out within the next 3-4 weeks.

I will be moving in as I purchased it as PPOR.

Do I need to get a valuation for when the tenant moves out for CGT purposes in the future?

Thanks for your help and insights!

2. Terry_w

Terry_w Lawyer, Tax Adviser and Mortgage broker in Sydney Business Member

craigc likes this.
  3. Trainee

Trainee Well-Known Member

Apportionment and third element costs?

4. Vincent32

Vincent32 New Member

5. Terry_w

6. Paul@PAS

Paul@PAS Tax, Accounting + SMSF + All things Property Tax Business Plus Member

s118-192 is the relevant law concerning valuations. It ONLY applies when a property has always been a 100% private (ie no business use etc) main residence. It draws a lie in the sand and only occurs once if it is eleigible. Rentinga spare room also excludes its use. All cases which cant use s118-192 use the pro-rata basis based on numbers of days.

Instead the dates will be very relevant. The property will always be subject to pro-rata CGT however its not as bad as it sounds. The period of time that is taxable is a fixed period eg 28 days. 28 days as a % dilutes over the long term eg Aftre 1 year it is 7.67% (28/365), after 10 years it is 0.76%. That is a % of the total profit. But there is good news and good you asked so you can now retain records as you know this well kept secret. Many find out too late.

A pro-rata CGT event allows 3rd element cgt costs to add to the costsbase, which will reduce over profit (or create a loss). 3rd element costs are any costs of ownership for which you cant caima deduction and includes, loan interest, borrowing expenses, improvments, (hard) landscaping, repairs, maintenance, rates and building insurance. I did calcs for someone yesterday and theirs added up to over $120K. When you use 3rd element costs you cant calculate a tax loss. Its just $0 profit as assessable.

7. Trainee

Third element costs being costs you cant deduct. Ie costs incurred when the property is ppor.

so assuming a ip for the first month then ppor for 119 months, all non deductible costs for the 119 months will be 3rd element costs?

8. Terry_w

yes

craigc and Paul@PAS like this.
  9. Trainee

Can it result in a pro rata’ed capital loss?

10. Terry_w

no

11. Paul@PAS

Paul@PAS Tax, Accounting + SMSF + All things Property Tax Business Plus Member

No. 3rd element costs do not allow any loss. The maximum benefit is a $0 CGT event
    Elements of the cost base and reduced cost base

Note you cant include 3rd elements on collectables or personal use assets. Property tick.