Purchased Home | My Renovation Blog

Discussion in 'Renovation & Home Improvement' started by Chee, 23rd Sep, 2015.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. Chee

Chee Member

So earlier this year, we were successful at auction! The home is an older Victorian style design in need of some renovations, but has heaps of potential. Property is located in the Inner West of Sydney.

House: Brick, 2 Bed, 1 Bathroom, Carspot, circa 330sqm

We wish to have an open-living design. If budget persists, we would like a;

-New bathroom
    -New kitchen
    -Additional third bedroom with ensuite (master bedroom)
    -As a result of the additional bedroom, we will be looking to extend the rear by about 5m.
    -Flooring and painting

After some research, I've reached out to a builder who has helped me start the process. I'm now deciding on whether I go with an Architect or a Draftsman. I have a fair idea on the floorplan and to an extent, how we would like to design the place. This is all of course, pending feasibility of what I've proposed.

So, to kick off our project - An Architect, or Draftsman? After this, we will then proceed on getting DA approval and then begin obtain a fixed price contract with the builder. At the moment, were gathering ideas from pictures to get assist the builder on what we would like to achieve.

Last edited: 23rd Sep, 2015
    Perthguy likes this.
  2. Chee

Chee Member

Proposed Floorplan

So attached is the proposed floorplan of what I've envisioned. Of course, this will/can change over the course of the build.

At the moment, these are just estimates in terms of measurements but hopefully structurally, this shouldn't be too much of an issue.

Attached Files:

• 1.jpg
      1.jpg
      File size:
      38.7 KB
      Views:
  3. TMNT

TMNT Well-Known Member

is this for PPOR or IP?

suburb?

are you wanting our opinion on the figures or design or whether you should be engaging a builder etc?

4. Chee

Chee Member

Hi TMNT,

This is initially an IP as I currently live and work overseas. When we return it'll be our PPOR in Five Dock. May return in 2 years time but that's always reviewed and so far, it's been 3 years overseas.

Yeah of course I would love your opinions on figures and design. The more feedback, the more it'll help me throughout this process.

5. Chee

Chee Member

Does anyone have land surveyors they could recommend in Sydney, in the Inner West? How much does this roughly cost? Thanks.

6. QbiK Evolution

QbiK Evolution Well-Known Member

I would go draftsman if you have the design in your head. All draftsman spend countless hours in design courses so are more than capable of putting together a good design. Architects are good if you have a huge budget or want something really special put together in my mind. They can also provide you some project management type services if you were going down the road of owner builder.

Chee likes this.
  7. bob shovel

bob shovel Well-Known Member

+1 draftsman
    I see architects as the arty farty side of things that make things look pretty but may not work, and cost more

Find a local drafty. They should be able to copy and paste something similar they've done from the area plus know council requirements.

Minor thing, the kitchen you have looks a bit small, look at extending bench to wall and cupboards along eastern wall to create U shaped kitchen.

What does the fire place look like? It has to go but is it worth saving?

Being overseas your best way to research would be on re.Com.au to get into other people's houses that have done similar.

Chee likes this.
  8. vtt

vtt Well-Known Member

Hi Chee

2 things stand out to me right away about this design.

1. Fireplaces are gone. Therefore a big chunk of the character is gone. Are the fireplaces in good condition? Are they original? People expect a fireplace in an old home (even if they don't work)
    2. The ensuite looks very tight. You may want to revisit the measurements for this. The bedrooms are all quite small too so not sure where you will get your space.

Have you thought of going up and having one bedroom upstairs as a master suite with ensuite and BIR?

vtt

Chee likes this.
  9. jins13

jins13 Well-Known Member

Hi Chee,

I know this is an obvious thing, but do you have someone that can check on the progress of the property or will be able to check? The reason is I have to go to NCAT recently with one of my tradies due to an issue.

Chee likes this.
  10. Chee

Chee Member

Thanks - I've actually decided to go with a Draftsman as I do have a design in mind. I'm sure this will change as time goes on based on what's feasible.

Hi Bob, you're right - I think I'll add another bench along the wall to create additional space, or on the east to create a U shape. I'm sure the Draftsman and Builder will have recommendations on best utilising the space.

The fireplace is old (as expected) and is non-functional. Add character but ... I don't know, at this point I think I prefer it gone.

Thanks for the tip on the website!

1. Old, non-functioning, facing diagonal giving off the impression of taking up more space. If it was sitting flush onto a wall I might've considered it. The character of the home remains on the ceilings with their intricate patterns - But I know what you're saying.
    2. At this point the numbers are all estimates from the top of my head, ha. As were extending the rear, I'm sure we can figure something out as the renovation process progresses.

I did think of the upstairs option, but I think that will blow my budget. But I'll speak with the builder and see what they say in terms of possibly making that happen.

Most likely getting a renovation loan/progress loan so will only pay as and when the job is completed and satisifed. Plus, it will be a fixed contract and our in-laws live a few houses down on the same road - phew.

11. Chee

Chee Member

Ok, so it's been a while. Not exactly the best of starts but at least give me credit for enquiring - In the time I've gone MIA, there's been a lot of enquires with builders which have proven useful. Many of which I have organised a time to meet with when I return to Sydney for a quick visit.

I had a builder come and view the property whilst I was overseas and based on what I wanted done (in terms of the renovations), he quoted 300-350k. It seemed quite steep to me, but then again - I'm not a builder and in their defense, their quality is A grade. I guess that's only 1 quote though.

So I've decided to look at other builders as alternate options, as the above price to me, is in the 'knock-down rebuild' price category.

I can either do the following:

1. Knock down rebuild
    2. Renovate with a builder from start to finish as per what I wanted and/or change some of my ideas
    3. Know what I want and research multiple tradies to do the jobs separately

What are your thoughts?

Please share your project builder, owner builder, project home builder - this will help immensely - thanks for listening.

12. Chee

Chee Member

Can those who are floor-plan savvy advise where I would place the kitchen in this new floorplan. I'm keeping the bathroom where it is, to limit the movement of the plumbing, unless you can see kitchen/bath placed elsewhere..

Things to consider:
    -Open living
    -Preferably an island

Thanks, I'm really stuck on this one.

Attached Files:

13. bob shovel

My wifes family friends have asimilar layout, they did extend up but downstairs is the same (v similar)
    Make the bathroom skinnier and longer across that wall towards the front. there will still be plumbing to move so don't let the old "don't move the plumbing to save money " put you off. Your doing some big reno's and it may cost you else where.
    Kitchen on wall closest to front, same as your original sketch

Passi and Chee like this.
  14. Chee

Chee Member

Would anyone be able to recommend a Draftsman in Sydney, preferably near or, in the 'Inner West'.

Also, I would appreciate if you could help with the following:

-With a Draftsman, other than drawing up the plans - will they be able to provide an estimated cost for the layout based on the design
    -Will I still need a Structural Engineer as well if I'm removing internal brick walls or does the Draftsman cover that as well?

And a few more questions:

-What is the expected cost for a Draftsman and/or Engineer (simple layout)
    -What is the expected cost for a Complying Development Certifier and, should I use a Council Certifier or a Private Certifier? Recommendations?

Thanks in advance.

15. Azazel

Azazel Well-Known Member

Is this in Summer Hill by any chance?
    Or are there plenty of this type of floor plan around the Inner West?

16. bob shovel

Depends on the drafty you find

Yes. Drafty will draw where the opening is, eng will do a detailed drawing for making sure it doesn't fall down!
    Cost will vary on site specifics, and number of inspections reqd. Basic job $1000

17. Phantom

Phantom Well-Known Member

Five Dock.

18. Azazel

Azazel Well-Known Member

Oh Ok.
    Looks to be similar ones in Leichhardt too.

19. bythebay

bythebay Well-Known Member

Try Modum
    They do most of the structural renos I see around 2046 ... Assume they do must do good work if they get so many local jobs

20. Perthguy

Perthguy Well-Known Member

Maybe the reno is finished?