Purchase of very very small blocks of land

Discussion in 'Legal Issues' started by The rogue Orca, 21st Jan, 2020.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. The rogue Orca

The rogue Orca New Member

I wanted to approach farmers and ask if they would be interested in selling off tiny blocks of land for example 2 square metres.
    And with the land I'd like to auction it off as a way to raise money to support farmers in drought stricken parts of Australia.
    It's just an idea at the moment but I'd like to get any expert advice on what can and will go wrong with something like this?

2. Archaon

Archaon Well-Known Member

Minimum lot requirements?
    You can't subdivide, so is the ownership symbolic only?
    Owners of 2m2 wanting their interest to be registered on the title?
    Owners of land wanting proceeds from sale, etc?
    Creditors having issue?

3. Paul@PAS

Paul@PAS Tax, Accounting + SMSF + All things Property Tax Business Plus Member

Many farms arent personally owned - Trusts etc. I would think most property owners would see more concern than any benefit. They would be wary of city people impacting their life and taking their farm etc. Lenders and Govt may have serious concerns. eg primary production exemptions issues and concessions. Centrelink support etc

Sponsoring a farmer / farm may have more merits and less legal concerns. eg Issuing small allotments of sponsorship for a pool of people to each donate to assist a farm. But it wont likely be a deductible gift where the funds raised through donations may. Also while may own the farm A & B may be sharefarmers. Who are you helping - The farmer or the landowner ?