Purchase Costs in Melbourne

Discussion in 'The Buying & Selling Process' started by Realist35, 23rd Mar, 2017.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. Realist35

Realist35 Well-Known Member

Hi guys,

I'm in the process of looking for IP's in Melbourne and I'm trying to understand all the acquisition costs.

I know that in Brisbane these costs are roughly 5% of the property value. What would be the rough figure for Melbourne?

KateAshmor likes this.
  2. Peter_Tersteeg

Peter_Tersteeg Mortgage Broker Business Member

5% will get fairly close. To be conservative (stamp duty is a little higher here) assume 6% and you'll have some change.

KateAshmor and Realist35 like this.
  3. The Y-man

The Y-man Moderator Staff Member

We usually allow 7% - legals, stamp etc

Th Y-man

KateAshmor and Realist35 like this.
  4. Realist35

Realist35 Well-Known Member

Thanks Peter and Yman:).

5. Wendy Chamberlain

Wendy Chamberlain Well-Known Member

@Realist35 assume 5% for stamp duty, around $1100-$1200 for solicitor fees, $520 for a building/post report and $475 for a depreciation schedule.

Realist35 likes this.
  6. Peter_Tersteeg

Peter_Tersteeg Mortgage Broker Business Member

I forgot to mention the additional 5%, "Out of town, Westie who thinks he's Borat", tax. It is possible to avoid by completing a Form 6423-48. This 247 page document to be completed in triplicate and must be presented in person by the applicant only, at the Vic State Revenue Office directly to "Sam".

7. zed_kid

zed_kid Well-Known Member

All the calculations I’ve done stamp duty + fees comes to about 5.8% of purchase price. Go with 6% and you’ll be safe, 7% is too conservative I think. This is for properties around $1.2m. I think it goes up as price goes up, not sure at what point thought.

8. jchan86

jchan86 Well-Known Member

That's a great price for a depreciation schedule.
    Obviously, quality/value will be subjective. Who provides Depreciation Schedules at this rate? Would be good to know for the future

9. Wendy Chamberlain

Wendy Chamberlain Well-Known Member

Yes, we have an arrangement with a company that does a special rate for our clients. We like to support them so they support our clients in return. You won't get that rate off the street.

Build Passive Income WITHOUT Dropping $15K On Buyers Agents Each Time! Helping People Achieve PASSIVE INCOME Using Our Unique Data-Driven System, So You Can Confidently Buy Top 5% Growth & Cashflow Property, Anywhere In Australia