International Punting on the Brexit

Discussion in 'Shares & Funds' started by xactly, 15th Jun, 2016.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. Speede

Speede Well-Known Member

Apparently someone in AU went short on GBPUSD pair.........a day before voting...and made close to 2 million....the broker was IG....what a return.

2. Casteller

Casteller Well-Known Member

Sterling is still higher against most currencies than the average of the last few years, only back to where it was with the Euro a year ago. Didn´t go down as much as expected, only 5% or so. Could continue to decline, hope not, relying on income from there, wont be selling GBP though.

3. Foxy Moron

Foxy Moron Well-Known Member

All this doom and gloom toward Britain kind of labels them as dumb for leaving the happy circle of trust, like the rest of the EU members are in perfect lockstep as the utopian group that holds all the lolllies now.
    What if shock-horror, another one of two heavy hitters also pick up their bat and ball in the next 6-12 months. Would the poms still be labelled dumb, or instead hailed as brave independent thinkers in the fullness of time ?
    Just sayin.

Chrispy and Bayview like this.
  4. gman65

gman65 Well-Known Member

Or instead a trading bloc with 500 million people and 2 of the world's largest economies eventually decide to go into trade war against the UK with just 65 million.. Inflation and unemployment will soar.

While they happily try and close their borders to immigration, they also prevent some of the smartest minds in Europe from bothering to bring their knowledge and experience there. I think the UK has a lot more to lose from this than they realise, over such a myopic issue such as anti-immigration.

Skilled_Migrant and Casteller like this.
  5. Casteller

Not going to happen.. the UK has made a huge mistake, I think they will try to back out of it somehow, maybe a general election to declare everything null-and-void.
    Just look at the sort of people who voted to leave vs those who wanted to remain to get your answer about dumb versus brave independent thinkers.

sanj likes this.
  6. barnes

barnes Well-Known Member

What freedom are you talking about? What is the unemployment rate in Spain? I reckon more than 21%, every fourth Greek is unemployed, How about Italy - close to 12% You call this opportunity? EU combined unemployment rate is 8,8%, UK unemployment is 5%. As an Australian I don't need an opportunity like that. :(
    You are lucky if you are not worried about increased terrorism. You have never lived in a place where terrorism is almost a daily affair. Lucky you.

Francesco and The Falcon like this.
  7. barnes

barnes Well-Known Member

You are right. The young and inexperienced who don't really know how a crisis looks like, they have voted to stay. When they will get older, they will understand how lucky were they, when the older generation saved them from their own stupidity.

8. sanj

sanj Well-Known Member Premium Member

do u have any stats showing significant increase in terrorist attacks or foiled attacks in UK vs 10/20 years ago and in particular that the increaseD acts were largely attributed to foreign nationals?

I had a brief look earlier and I'm not convinceD it's the case

RM1827 likes this.
  9. barnes

barnes Well-Known Member

Those attacks that were in France and Belgium not long ago, aren't enough? :( Or you need something of 9/11 in NY scale or Moscow 99 bombings to start thinking?

10. sanj

I was asking a genuine question, if you're gonna head into hyperbolic mode immediately then don't worry about it.

Blacky likes this.
  11. barnes

barnes Well-Known Member

Ok.

12. BingoMaster

BingoMaster Well-Known Member

...and you think UK not being part of the European Union will.... prevent these sort of things from happening in the UK, somehow?

As you mentioned, these things happen in other countries, like Moscow and NY, which have stricter border control. I'm lost...

What you are posting is a very good example of what fear mongering looks like, IMO

truong, KDP, RM1827 and 3 others like this.
  13. BingoMaster

BingoMaster Well-Known Member

On a lighter note, when reading about Brexit I keep misreading Boris Johnson's name and thinking of...

14. sanj

exactly. in the UK last year the group with greatest increase in terrorism related charges were british so leaving EU woild not make a difference. the Brussels idiot/s were locals too, all except 1 belgian citizens from memory so again, pointless and irrelevant fear mongering to infer that leaving EU woild help reduce terror threat.

Last edited: 26th Jun, 2016
  15. barnes

barnes Well-Known Member

Yes it is fear. That is why I have moved back from all those high probability places of terrorism like Europe or the States.
    Moscow doesn't have a stricter border control than UK, it's a myth. :(

16. Casteller

Freedom: Being in the EU has given hundreds of thousands of people opportunities to work in other countries while their countries recover from the events of the GFC. Some are starting to return as their respective countries recover. When I worked in Switzerland (a special sort EU membership) it was very noticeable the huge increase in Spanish people, at least 15 where I worked, even the ATMs added Spanish to the 4 available languages while I was there. Work permits much harder for non-EU, actually I only got in with my EU British passport, my Australian passport would not have cut it for the position I wanted.
    Spain is one of the top terrorism targets in the EU but not something most people worry about on a daily basis.

17. sanj

I have no idea why Europe in general,America, Russia etc are being mentioned when discussing your claim that leaving the EU would reduce terror threat in UK.

btw, check this out "the UK recorded the highest number of terrorist incidents of Western countries with 102 last year, although they did not result in any deaths. The majority of the attacks were in Northern Ireland and involved the New IRA, the report said." this is according to a report released November 2015.

there simply is no evidence I can find to support the claim. I'm happy and open to be convinced otherwise in the eve ive missed it.

18. barnes

barnes Well-Known Member

I think you have the answer in your own post. Quote "although they did not result in any deaths", so this New IRA is kid stuff compared to what happened in Europe lately. France and Belgium occurrences resulted in a lot of deaths. People are afraid that they are next. I know that feeling, experienced it a few times myself, so I don't blame them. If it was me, I wouldn't only voted to exit, I would have been gone from Europe completely after what happened in Paris.

19. sanj

again, how would leaving europe actually help reduce terrorism?

most of the Belgium terrorists were born or citizens of Belgium. so what makes you convinced that in the event of terror attack in England by isis or whoever that the terrorists would either not be UK citizens or be able to get into the country anyway?

I've given you 3 chances to answer this simple question but It looks like youre having as much trouble justifying it as I am.

I do not have a dog in this fight and i would happily concede the point if there was any justification for it

20. Bayview

Bayview Well-Known Member

Good point.

I still haven't heard exactly why they decided to leave anyway...what is the actual reason? (guilty of not following the whole saga from the outset)