Pulling out equity in 2022

Discussion in 'Investment Strategy' started by Troy_87, 17th May, 2022.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. Troy_87

Troy_87 Member

Hi all

Have decided to refinance a couple IPs. Will be changing lenders and was wondering what the wait times are like in 2022. I understand application times took many weeks if not months during 2020/21 but was hoping someone could give an update. I will be doing this via a broker, not sure if that speeds up the process.

Thanks in advance.

2. Terry_w

Terry_w Lawyer, Tax Adviser and Mortgage broker in Sydney Business Member

Depends on the lender and how complex it is. Can still be 3 days to 4 weeks for an approval

Troy_87 likes this.
  3. Seller beware

Seller beware Member

Just my experience, I've done an equity release and a separate loan application to buy another IP and the process has taken 3 months - and still not quite finished. The equity release took about 7 weeks itself. The bank has been very slow.

Troy_87 likes this.
  4. Troy_87

Troy_87 Member

Do you mind sharing what bank you are working with? Is it one of the big four? or one of the smaller ones? I'm going with Westpac and so far it has been 2 weeks. Will provide updates.

5. Jamie Moore

Jamie Moore MORTGAGE BROKER - AUSTRALIA WIDE Business Member

It's all dependent on lender - and often complexity of the application.

Some lenders will also prioritise purchases over refinances.

If you're doing the equity release with the same lender - that should be quicker than externally refinancing to another lender.

Cheers

Jamie

6. Lindsay_W

Lindsay_W Well-Known Member

As others have said, it depends on the lender, processing times are not identical across all the lenders.
    For example, I got a Formal Approval within 4 hours with one lender this week.
    I've also had other lenders taking a few weeks to even pick up an application to assess it.

You should have your formal approval by now via Westpac so I'd be asking what the hold up is.
    Assuming the valuation was completed prior to applying?
    Westpac have been providing approvals for my clients within 2 - 3 business days recently.

7. Troy_87

Troy_87 Member

Update: FINALLY got the cash from Westpac yesterday! Very, very frustrating process also had to visit the branch multiple times to verify ID and then again with partner to set up a joint account. For context I refinanced another IP with another lender during this time and they were 2-3 weeks faster and didn't make any branch visits. I imagine the cashback will still be a few weeks away!