Entertainment & Music Published authors amoungst us

Discussion in 'Living Room' started by Peter_Tersteeg, 12th Jan, 2016.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. Bran

Bran Well-Known Member

I'm not a real researcher, most of my past and current work is only clinical. I do a few things in town that no one else does, and as such closely audit and present such work.

Xenia likes this.
  2. Bran

Bran Well-Known Member

Medical stuff - certain cancer rates in certain populations, reviews of certain cancer treatments. I have a few current projects, but for a wish to remain semi-anonymous I'd rather not share (a google search of the topic brings up my name. Not necessarily special, just the way it is ;) )

Singo, Xenia and BigKahuna like this.
  3. BigKahuna

BigKahuna Well-Known Member

@Bran ,how fascinating. I totally understand what you say about anonymity. Respect.

Bran and Xenia like this.
  4. meme plecko

meme plecko Well-Known Member

Another medical researcher here. A book chapter and a growing number of articles. No way anyone can survive in this profession without publishing regularly

BigKahuna and Xenia like this.
  5. Bran

Bran Well-Known Member

I could very easily be a busy clinician without any research at all. But then my questions will remain unanswered. I am a fairly early adopter of new techniques/advances, but this comes with an associated responsibility to critically and publicly share our results (but many don't!)

6. Peter_Tersteeg

Peter_Tersteeg Mortgage Broker Business Member

7. Angel

Angel Well-Known Member

Children of Fire
    http://tiny.cc/cof2eau

My son has written and published his first novel, with two more in the works. It is set in Brisbane.
    This is a link to the Australian Amazon site.

ellejay, BigKahuna and Peter_Tersteeg like this.
  8. bashworth

bashworth Well-Known Member

I've written 4 E books on various aspects relating to building new houses.

Currently selling around 1,000 a year at $4 each, total sales 3,000+.

Not making me a fortune but it is the best source of funds from my anewhouse blog. (about 60-70% of total revenue)

House, Peter_Tersteeg and BigKahuna like this.
  9. Skilled_Migrant

Skilled_Migrant Well-Known Member

Have published some academic engineering papers and a book chapter along with some professional publications.
    Do post graduate thesis count ?

10. Spiderman

Spiderman Well-Known Member

An update on this, with the benefit of more hindsight.

The book mentioned before sold over 2500 in its first 10 months (ie nearly 3000 in first year).

Depending on pricing that might be similar cashflow (after costs) to rent from a modest paid-off IP.

However, unlike a steady or rising rental income, there may be a gradual levelling off in sales after the intial frenzy.

However you do get little spikes with little marketing campaigns. Also if you launch a second book on a related topic then the marketing for that will help the first book as there are cross-promotion opportunities (finding that at the moment).

As for marketing, I think it's essential to use free means at your disposal. Eg as an author you should definitely have a business Facebook page since word of mouth and 'sharing' is so important. I experimented with paid Facebook ads, and despite targeted marketing, these probably returned only slightly more than they cost.

11. JenW

JenW Well-Known Member

I'm a published author (under my maiden name) in the Journal of Industrial Relations. At the time I was seriously considering going on from my honours degree to get a PhD. I didn't, which ended up working out well, as I met my husband in my first professional job after getting my honours year finished. I wouldn't have met him if I'd gone the PhD route.

12. Colin Rice

Colin Rice Mortgage Broker Business Member

You can always purchase the pdf and print a hard copy with the font size of your choice :)

13. Spiderman

Spiderman Well-Known Member

Also forgot to mention that at least with Amazon (not sure about others) you the author have download charges. That is if your book contains megabytes of high-resolution pictures your profit margin will be lower than if it was text only. So you need to use pictures sparingly and compress them (to the extent that you can do this without reducing the book's appeal). If you can get away with a simple diagram rather than a photo then that's an advantage as that needs only a few kB.

ellejay likes this.

Build Passive Income WITHOUT Dropping $15K On Buyers Agents Each Time! Helping People Achieve PASSIVE INCOME Using Our Unique Data-Driven System, So You Can Confidently Buy Top 5% Growth & Cashflow Property, Anywhere In Australia