public transport

Discussion in 'Living Room' started by Angel, 29th Oct, 2018.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
Tags:
  1. Angel

Angel Well-Known Member

2. Scott No Mates

Scott No Mates Well-Known Member

Just telling us what we already know - if you live in the less dense outer suburbs of any city there are greater expanses to cover by the same number of services of course you will feel deprived.

I live in an area serviced by a dozen or so different bus routes coming from all directions and heading into the city. These are near/over capacity when they get to my stop (pick up violin here). Conversely, if I were to travel away from the cbd, there is only one bus going to each of these suburbs. If I want to catch one of these buses, I must make my way to an interchange either walk or catch another bus (hourly route outside of peak hours). It's not all sunshine and lollipops in the inner suburbs either.

Solutions
    • pay more for your accommodation, live closer to the city and suffer the indignity of living over other people
    • work closer to home
    • find an alternative - ride a bike
    All major cities have had their transport systems designed to feed into the cbd that is, the train and major bus routes all lead into the city not around the city (like ring roads).

The journo must be a rocket scientist with comments like this "Inadequate access to public transport means that people in outer urban areas travel further and take more time to get to work". Goes without saying doesn't it - if I don't live near my job, it takes time to get there. The greater the distance, the longer it takes.

Last edited: 29th Oct, 2018
    Angel likes this.
  3. The Y-man

The Y-man Moderator Staff Member

I thought CBD apartments are going to crash so it should be *very* affordable to live IN the city :D no PT required

The Y-man

Angel and Scott No Mates like this.
  4. The Y-man

The Y-man Moderator Staff Member

This article has made my day - apparently I have "high frequency PT" with 4 or more services in the morning peak :D ..... except I go to uni in the middle of the day, and occasionally come back very late.... (last bus home is 7pm) :(

The Y-man

5. bob shovel

bob shovel Well-Known Member

I haven't used public transport for a few years, or for a regular commute.

However I had started using on the weekend with kids for some minor train travel - just for fun. And also going to work at Quakers Hill. I had very little idea on how I would get there with out a car but simply using the opal card app trip planner it got me to 50m across the road from work very easily. I am lucky not to do a painful inner city commute and I don't get out the pitch forks if the train is 3 min late. I'm enjoying my pub transport adventures! (I get a seat on the train almost every time and I virtually own the bus sharing it with 3 other people)

I've found it easy to get around and will keep getting involved and using it more - no need to buy a second car and surely more environmentally friendly when I add in the bike ride to the station ;)

6. Lizzie

Lizzie Well-Known Member

I'd just be glad if we had a school bus go anywhere near us (servicing the 4 local schools) ... nope ... not one ... I spend 2 hours a day on the school run.

But I did choose to live where I live

7. Scott No Mates

Scott No Mates Well-Known Member

It can take 40-50min for a round trip for Mrs No Mates to go less than 10km - Pacific Hwy is 5#¡+3

8. Eric Wu

Eric Wu Well-Known Member

not only the time it takes to go from A to B, the public transport is Expensive as well.