Public liability insurance

Discussion in 'Property Management' started by Codie, 16th Jun, 2019.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. Codie

Codie Well-Known Member

Hi all,

About to rent a property out, in which has a large sloped block that most would find difficult to mow lawns,

I personally use Jim’s mowing due to them having the right equipment and me not wanting to fall over and chop a few toes off...

In renting a place like this, the block is out of my control and is in a suburb where ALL blocks are sloped. Am I liable if a tenants injured them selfs doing a simple task as mowing a lawn, falling on the sloped driveway when it rains, etc etc.

2. thatbum

thatbum Well-Known Member

Short answer is "possibly".

Michael Mitchell likes this.
  3. Michael Mitchell

Michael Mitchell Property Manager Business Member

Hi Codie,

AFAIK, for a rental property, all you can do is take out landlords insurance, and also confirm in writing any concerns you have with the insurer to make them aware and also to see if they do/don't advise any remedial work is covered, so that you maximise your chances of being covered in the event an incident occurs and the Tenant/PM tries to sue you. Also, for the small cost you may wish to get a building certifier out to provide/confirm the Certificate of Classification for your property is right - that being, the idea to make sure you property complies with building code etc.

Codie likes this.
  4. Codie

Codie Well-Known Member

That’s great thank you for the info Michael, will certainly get that done! I do have typical landlords insurance so Il make sure I advise of the sloped block etc. cheers

Michael Mitchell likes this.