Psychological Testing

Discussion in 'Investor Psychology & Mindset' started by 158, 19th Nov, 2016.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. Scott No Mates

Scott No Mates Well-Known Member

I thought that it was so you could compete in the Firies Olympics ;) I hear that they need cyclists.

158 likes this.
  2. JenW

JenW Well-Known Member

I used to work in DFES in WA, in the HR department. We also used (and they still use) psychometric testing as a part of the process. Key attributes they look for are the ability to work as part of a team, consistency in decision making, and the ability to respond to direction under pressure.

One thing to keep in mind, don't feel bad if you don't make it through - I didn't read your first post in great depth, so I missed if it's your first go, but it's unusual for people to get in on their first attempt. We've had guys (and generally they are guys, 95% of the time) who have persevered and got in on their fourth or fifth attempts. Age also plays a part - it's extremely unlikely for guys to get in before they hit mid-20s - this is a job which benefits from a bit of life experience.

Good luck pinkboy! Let us know how you go.

Perthguy and 158 like this.
  3. 158

158 Well-Known Member

2nd crack. Made the merit pool first time, but no interview. So 2 steps closer this time around. I felt I interviewed well, and answered each question as best I could on the tests. 33 years old, 2x trades, self employed, fit physically and mentally, plus a reasonable level of life experiences. Im motivated for the job and what it entails, the money honestly means nothing. Im at a stage in life where Im ready for a new challenge, and for the right reasons and motivations, without it being linked to monetry reward.

pinkboy

Biz likes this.
  4. jchan86

jchan86 Well-Known Member

You should definitely question tests and validity; ask for the science/literature + peer reviewed published research around them. Let the science/research do the talking.

Just as an FYI, there is a significant difference between a survey "made up" vs a scientifically valid, reliable psychometric that has undergone lengthy study and independent peer review. It can take 3-10 years to actually just make 1 measure that is scientifically valid/reliable and actually measures a key construct and has relevant norms and modelling to scientifically back up.

5. WattleIdo

WattleIdo midas touch

Agree. You'll do well. I remember doing a test for an insurance agency and they told me I'm just the kind of person thye want but then I turned it down. The same questions were asked in different ways, sometimes requiring the same answer, sometimes not. I think it's about consistency wiht a few nuances thrown in.
    For sure you'll get it. Cool.

6. chindonly

chindonly Well-Known Member

I've done the MB years ago as part of an exective management course at Mt Eliza.

Was an INTJ - same as DT! "The architect" apparently - Linky
    2% of the population? Elon Musk and Arnie are of the same type. lol

D.T. and Perthguy like this.
  7. Blacky

Blacky Well-Known Member

If used correctly the test can be helpful. Sadly many companies use them for the wrong purposes.

Ive done the MBTI a few times and generally come out as an ENTP or an ESTP (depends on the day). But generally closer to the ENTP - I dont have the creativity of an ESTP generally.
    Quite a narrow band of the population sit in either category (3-5%).

What does it mean? Im good with ideas, then delagate the work and move onto my next idea.I get bored with routine. I have no tact and am completely insensitive to other peoples feelings. I have no care or requirement for other peoples approval, esspecially sociatal 'norms'. I have a bizarre level of control over my own emotions - which almost comes accross as being 'emotionless' or 'cold'.
    I get well with about 99% of the population.

If you know me and you read either of the two ENTP or ESTP profiles they are remarkably accurate.

Best of luck with your application @pinkboy. Ive known a couple of fireys and it provides a great challenge mixed with a pretty good lifestyle. The comradery of the crews is nearly second to none.

Blacky

158 likes this.
  8. bob shovel

bob shovel Well-Known Member

I can't even work out how to do the test:oops:

9. WattleIdo

WattleIdo midas touch

OK, on the strength of Blacky's post, I just did the test. I'm an ESTP - The Entrpreneur - rational, logical, risk-taker (told you),distracted, insensitive, exciting! Huh! Who'd've thunk it? Only 4% of us. I didn't even go to that thread last year because I thought it wasn't me.

158 likes this.
  10. Joynz

Joynz Well-Known Member

I wouldn't get too excited. The Myers Briggs Indicator has been pretty comprehensively debunked as a valid tool.

Perthguy likes this.
  11. Scott No Mates

Scott No Mates Well-Known Member

@bob shovel - I completed the Briggs & Stratton test: fuel in tank, adjust height, prime, pull the cord, adjust the cogs, push the mower.

I pass every time.

bob shovel and Joynz like this.
  12. bob shovel

bob shovel Well-Known Member

I keep getting stuck at step 1 and using a plastic bag:confused:

13. WattleIdo

WattleIdo midas touch

Can't help it!

14. RetireRich101

RetireRich101 Well-Known Member

15. Perthguy

Perthguy Well-Known Member

Yipes! Sounds almost exactly like me.

16. wobbycarly

wobbycarly Well-Known Member

Link/evidence please? I thought the description of my profile was pretty close. Almost scarily close.

17. JenW

JenW Well-Known Member

You sound perfect pinkboy! I'd put my money on you getting in. Best of luck!

18. JenW

JenW Well-Known Member

This wouldn't work in WA - I don't know about the other states, but the one DFES uses has been developed specifically for the WA fire service, so it's not a proprietary/off the shelf test. It was developed by a couple of the Uni of WA academic staff. It is however based on generally accepted principles that are valid and consistent.

On the topic of psychometric testing, it's always interested me to note that while they can validly test for a whole range of things like team building, etc etc, they've never been able to develop a reliable, valid indicator to test for whether someone is a firebug or not (that is, someone who deliberately sets fires). There is an informal profile for them, but that hasn't translated to being able to actually test for it with any reliability.

WattleIdo and willair like this.
  19. wobbycarly

wobbycarly Well-Known Member

I have a friend who had a property burn down - twice. In both instances, the lovely young local CFA lad (who lived in the same street) was first on scene, feverishly attempting to douse the flames... that he'd started - both times! He even offered to assist with the rebuild between the two incidences! :eek: I know it's more common than is probably reported. It happening in CFA (or equivalent) is probably more likely than a formal metro/suburban service.

20. jchan86

jchan86 Well-Known Member

You've just flagged it - if it's based upon valid/consistent principles (i.e., both theoretical structural/statistical modelling) and leverages other reliable items, that improves the value (i.e., reliability/validity) of a measure. Norms assist profiling to the curve, however if you're looking at a specific field, you're likely going to have to establish your own norm from both top down and bottom up (e.g., theoretical KSA that makes a "good firey" and also identifying good firey's and working from bottom up, by understanding common themes about their KSA and character).

As you just flagged reliable/valid indicators are hard to come by... it takes a lot of blood/sweat/tears to actually establish a measure. Also to actually establish a profile, they'd have to purposefully have a large enough sample size of firebugs to validate a measure, and then conduct further testing to discriminate. Therefore, it's very unlikely a measure would ever predict with good reliability.

Build Passive Income WITHOUT Dropping $15K On Buyers Agents Each Time! Helping People Achieve PASSIVE INCOME Using Our Unique Data-Driven System, So You Can Confidently Buy Top 5% Growth & Cashflow Property, Anywhere In Australia