Prospect and Enfield Council fire compliance

Discussion in 'Repairs & Maintenance' started by Regency Rd Peter, 20th Nov, 2018.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. Regency Rd Peter

Regency Rd Peter New Member

I am starting this forum to discuss the Walkerville Prospect Councils’ requirements for older buildings to be upgraded to the current fire safety compliance codes. I thought it would be a good place for other home owners from the area to engage in a discussion on how to find the most cost effective way of dealing with the identified issues, and hopefully also have others who may visit this forum add some professional advice.

Attached is a letter received by the Council Fire Safety Committee.

Fire compliance letter.jpg

Point 1 – the requirement to have a fire wall separating the roof space for all upper level units. There was discussion for the potential of an integrated smoke alarm which would trigger alarms in the affected units. I have discussed this with Chi Hok and he has said that the Fire Safety Committee did not like this idea as it would mean that any smoke detection in one of the units, would trigger a whole of interconnected alarm for all units (e.g. if someone burnt their cooking) causing false alarms to happen. I suggested that this problem could be eliminated where each affected unit, could have an independent integrated smoke detector in the roof space (i.e. unit 4 has their own smoke alarm in their unit, connected to their own smoke alarm/detector in the roof space, unit 5 has the same etc), meaning that they would only have an alarm where there is smoke in the roof space and not in each individual unit. Chi advised to have this put forward as a proposal for review by the committee and they will discuss the suggestion.

Point 2 – the requirement for all smoke alarms to be hard wired. I have received varying advice that the current codes allow for 10 year lithium battery operated smoke alarms to be in place in a dwelling but Chi has stated this code has been superseded. I have had a number of building professionals argue against this statement. I have tried to do my own research but have not been able to find the actual wording of the codes. If someone could possibly link this wording for my own clarity, I would appreciate it.

Point 3 – the requirement for alternate egress points for upper level units. This is one that would likely cost a large amount as not all units built prior to the current codes are designed to incorporate an alternative egress point and fire safety windows are very costly. There is a suggestion that an automated sprinkler system which covers the windows and doors along the exit passage, might be sufficient. One suggestion is that the sprinkler system would have to be automated on the detection of a fire. I would like to discuss a suggestion that a valve be located near to the exit of any affected unit door, so any person can manually turn the sprinkler system on, should their exit be blocked.

If anyone else has other suggestions they have been given by a professional or someone with knowledge about fire safety compliance, I would appreciate any discussion.

Cheers

Peter

2. qak

qak Well-Known Member

How come you need to comply with the current BCA fire regs - how old is the block?

3. Regency Rd Peter

Good question. Apparently new legislation makes it so that a Council can require people to update their buildings to comply with current fire codes.

4. marmot

marmot Well-Known Member

Normally I thought this was triggered by a change of use for the building , major renovations or a fire safety order issued after a complaint.
    Is it anything to do with flammable cladding or a change of use by one of the owners.
    I think getting fire sprinklers set up is expensive as it requires connection directly to the mains supply or tanks fitted.
    For doors they normally just have to be solid core.

5. Regency Rd Peter

A contractor who I've done some work with, who is a licenced Master Builder, says the same thing as you about only needing to upgrade the building's structure to comply, where a major modification is done or where the intended use of the building changes. Personally I'd like to see the wording of the legislation or get some legal advice from an authority on this matter. The bloke from the Council is certain that the legislation gives them the authority to ensure we upgrade the existing structure.

As for your question about flammable cladding, they have not made any comments about anything like that.

Do you need help with investment strategies, don’t want to buy the wrong stocks, or you just need a regular income stream? We provide the research to ensure your investment selections achieve the goals. This is the value of advice.