Proposed QLD reforms

Discussion in 'Property Management' started by euro73, 14th Dec, 2019.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
Tags:
?

How would you respond if these laws were passed?

Poll closed 28th Dec, 2019.
  1. I'd sell my QLD INV properties

8.7%
  2. I'd hold my QLD INV properties and would continue to invest there if the opportunity arose

52.2%
  3. I'd hold my QLD INV properties but would defer any further investment there

34.8%
  4. I have been considering investing in QLD but would not if these laws were passed

8.7%
  5. I have been considering investing in QLD and those plans wouldnt change even if these laws passed

8.7%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. Sackie

Sackie Well-Known Member

2. kierank

kierank Well-Known Member

3. Sackie

Sackie Well-Known Member

Tbh I wouldn't want snakes in my rentals either. Dogs, cats, pigs, bloody kangaroos even are fine.

kierank likes this.
  4. Dan Wood

Dan Wood Well-Known Member

Thats your opinion, some people love snakes. And it shouldn't be your decision what pet a person gets.

If it kills them, so what? It's not your decision and that's why these rules are coming into play. You're limiting a person's quality of life due to this. You shouldn't have such control.

And

Canberra woman killed by pet dog told visitor to lock himself in laundry for safety, coroner finds - ABC News (Australian Broadcasting Corporation)

'Tragedy waiting to happen': Neighbour says killer dog had been aggressive

Fatal dog attacks in the United States - Wikipedia

So please, explain why you're not letting a person have the pet they want, that's less risk to your property vs a child or puppy/dog...

"I don't like it" is not a proper answer.

# 1 likes this.
  5. Ran Gus

Ran Gus Well-Known Member

Good idea, I've certainly never heard of a pet dog killing somebody.

Last edited by a moderator: 17th Dec, 2019
    # 1 likes this.
  6. Sackie

Sackie Well-Known Member

At the end of the day, I want to have the choice. Just like I wouldn't rent to anyone who has black marks against their rental history, anyone who has Rottweiler dogs, anyone who has literally 0 savings in the bank. when the property manager interviews prospective tenants and they get a very bad vibe, as soon as that vibe is related to me that excludes them from my list as well. I have nothing against snakes, if people want to marry snakes that's fine too. What I do not agree with this taking away our right to choose, which effectively reduces our ability to manage risk. I'm very respectful and understanding to tenants who rent my places and I always fix things ASAP. But I expect tenants to also respect the landlords wishes.

Having said all that, I have never had any major issues with any of my tenants and often most wish to stay beyond the lease time frame i can offer. I think I'm a very reasonable landlord.

Anyway we can go back and forth until the cows come home.

Let's just respectfully agree to disagree on this mate.

Last edited: 17th Dec, 2019
  7. Dan Wood

Dan Wood Well-Known Member

See the websites in my post which you quoted...

8. Noobieboy

Noobieboy Well-Known Member

It is such a pleasure to listen to you all gents and ladies. Now let’s all move on and return to the topic.

That said. I think Australia is slowly moving towards the European model. By that I means mostly western continental EU. There is still place for landlord. Tenants stay for decades. Tentats tend to look after the properties.

Wait till implied income due to owning a PPOR home is taxed like in Switzerland. If you own PPOR the rent you are not paying is believed to be an income and is taxed.

9. kierank

In this case, is the deemed income reduced by all the property expenses (interest, rates, maintenance, gardening, ...) incurred?

If not, I might have to become a tenant and rent one of my trusts’ IPs.

I doubt any Government would have the “balls” to implement such a policy. Look what happened to BS/ALP with their policies in May.

10. Noobieboy

Noobieboy Well-Known Member

Never say never! I’m sure it will be grandfathered at some stage, if it would ever happen. And no, no sweet deductions other than the normal outgoings that are paid to a INDEPENDENT third party. So council, interest yes. Water, Electricity, Gardening, nope.

11. TAJ

TAJ Well-Known Member

No wonder we are considered the " Lucky Country"!

Michael Mitchell likes this.
  12. thatbum

thatbum Well-Known Member

I wouldn't really agree.

I would say that instead, the 'mum and dad' culture of property investment has been pushing on the edges of what normally is the balance of rights in a common law lease, and many of the recent reforms around the country aim to re-align that balance.

Michael Mitchell likes this.
  13. kierank

14. thatbum

thatbum Well-Known Member

Pretty much. The various real estate organisations really need to get a lot smarter with their lobbying on these issues.

Over the top claims and poor understanding of the current legislative scheme isn't doing them any credibility favours from the point of view of the law reform departments.

I've literally seen the above in action when I used to work on the WA tenancy law reform stuff. I actually think REIWA has learned a lot since then and are a bit smarter these days.

kierank likes this.

Price Accounting are a leading tax service for your property + tax issues. Contact Paul@PFI for property focussed tax services using our client portal access, digital signing and checklist based approach for best pricing. Free client pack included.