Proposed development near my IP

Discussion in 'Development' started by Beelzebub, 31st Jul, 2016.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
Tags:
  1. Beelzebub

Beelzebub Well-Known Member

Hi all

Across the road from my IP is a row of houses (like any normal street), behind this is a low rise, independent living retirement home.

There is a development application that has gone through to replace the low rise independent living area with a two story building, doubling its capacity. This, I'm not so concerned about.

However, the application also shows plans to purchase two properties on my street (approximately 5-6 houses down and across the road) and to use these properties as a car park for the upgraded retirement village.

This is in a low density residential area of Ballarat; however, it is probably appropriate planning wise.

The question is: to what extent should I be concerned? are there any positives that I am not considering? what, if anything can I do?

2. C-mac

C-mac Well-Known Member

Hey mate, it sounds like a net-same result for your area. The two-story will add more supply, but the removal of nearby houses to make way for the retirement village carpark will remove supply.

If anything it might be a positive. The independent living may have no on-site full time staff (though they usually do actually... the 'independent living' moniker is usually marketing spiel for some level of assisted living, meaning perhaps some job creation for on-site staff?), there will be jobs during construction and then with more capacity for older folk there, perhaps more service-based jobs for health workers, gardeners etc.?

Beelzebub and Tyler Durden like this.