propertysafe report for rental property

Discussion in 'Repairs & Maintenance' started by fairy, 17th Aug, 2016.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. fairy

fairy Active Member

I have a rental property which is single story with no pool and deck @ Canberra. I have just been recommended to do a safety report done on my property by my Property Manager for 279 dollar.

Do you think it worth considering it ? Has anybody done it and how was the outcome?

From
    Landlords | PropertySafe

2. kierank

kierank Well-Known Member

Interesting.

I received 5 emails from my PM for 5 of our properties in Brisbane about 11 days ago.

I am overseas - so I left the emails in my Inbox until I return before I investigate and make a decision.

Is this the latest way for PMs to pass the buck?

If we decline and something goes wrong, they are in the clear?

I would be interested in any feedback from the PMs on PC. @Xenia , @D.T. , others?

3. dabbler

dabbler Well-Known Member

I would put it straight back to them.....they need to inform of known issues and do regular inspections.

They also need to be aware of relevant regs and advise, part of the gig.

kierank likes this.
  4. Joynz

Joynz Well-Known Member

I got several emails too in the last few weeks - including after I turned the service down.

Since I live nearby and there is no pool, deck etc, I am completely confident I don't need the service.

I do have the gas heater checked for carbon monoxide emissions at the required intervals though.

dabbler and kierank like this.
  5. Gockie

Gockie Life is good ☺️ Premium Member

You can buy carbon monoxide detectors - they are just like smoke detectors and work for up to 10 years before needing replacing. They only cost about $40.

House and Colin Rice like this.
  6. kierank

I arrived back in Oz over the weekend.

I contacted my PM late yesterday. They have just installed a new investment property maintenance management system called Maintenance Manager. Guess who markets and sells this system - a company called PropertySafe.

My PM stated that PropertySafe also offers a property inspection service and they thought it worthwhile that they made their landlords aware of the service. Some have taken it up, others haven't. Their company approach was to make their landlords aware of the service but not persuade landlords one way or the other - let them make their own decision.

Our PM also said that she believes the way things are going, it will be become mandatory for landlords (and possibly home owners) to have regular property inspections in the future (maybe every two years), just like we have regular smoke alarms inspection now.

Given that we have been landlords for nearly 25 years, given that take all maintenance requests seriously and action them immediately, given that we have never had any safety issues with our tenants, given that we have building and landlord insurance on all of our IPs, ... it is unlikely that we will be taking up the service.

It is interesting that other PC members are getting similar emails. Maybe their PM have recently installed Maintenance Manager as well?

7. dabbler

This is just insane Nanny state mission creep......

What is next, sky's the limit really until we are crippled by red tape and bureaucracy and legislators gone mad, maybe they supply them all with lead chalice's ?

kierank likes this.
  8. Joynz

Joynz Well-Known Member

I have one of these in my own house. However, I would be a bit reluctant to provide one for tenants in case it created some sort of issue if it didn't work...

9. Gockie

Gockie Life is good ☺️ Premium Member

I wonder if the detectors have a guarantee?

10. dabbler

you can install as combined & they would have to say compliant and guaranteed you would think.

11. kierank

I used slightly stronger language when I was speaking to my PM :) :).

All because people don't want to take responsibility for their lives, their actions, ...

12. Hwa Rang

Hwa Rang Member

bump...just got the same email and same quote...wondering if anyone would like to add anything?

13. dabbler

Yeah, pay if it makes you feel safe ..............
    This and the great smoke alarm rip off......sigh......

Build Passive Income WITHOUT Dropping $15K On Buyers Agents Each Time! Helping People Achieve PASSIVE INCOME Using Our Unique Data-Driven System, So You Can Confidently Buy Top 5% Growth & Cashflow Property, Anywhere In Australia