PropertyChat v2 suggestions

Discussion in 'PropertyChat Community & Website' started by Simon Hampel, 26th Sep, 2017.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. Simon Hampel

Simon Hampel Founder Staff Member

There is a major new version of the forum software coming in a couple of months (currently in beta testing), and I've been holding off from building new functionality for PropertyChat until it is released.

The new platform is a complete rewrite (as in, they pretty much threw out all the existing code and started from scratch!) and all customisations will need to be completely rebuilt to work on the new version - no direct upgrades possible! So until now it wasn't really worth doing further customisations because I'd have to build them again before I could upgrade to the new version.

But now that we're approaching the availability of the new software platform and I have a beta version to develop against, it is a good time to look at building new functionality for PropertyChat.

I'd welcome any suggestions for features or functionality you'd like to see on this site.

Some things I'm already looking at:

Resources

We haven't made great use of the Resource section yet - it's a good way of collecting reference information together in a spot that won't get lost amongst the discussion threads. Spreadsheets, videos, articles about property investing, just about anything really.

It also has built in rating functionality, so it could be ideal for things like rating books, seminars and other resources.

Chatroom

The current chatroom has been basically dead for the past year since I moved away from using IRC and haven't had time to fully integrate with Slack like I was originally planning.

I'm not happy with the integration capabilities of Slack anyway - it is intended for business use and doesn't give you good moderation facilities for communities like us. So I've been evaluating other platforms we might be able to use instead.

Right now I'm leaning towards using Discord for group chat - it's intended for gaming communities, but has a heap of functionality for moderating live chat sessions and has good integration functionality, so I think it may do what we need.

Media Gallery

There is some new functionality coming in the new version which makes it easier for people to upload collections of photos - so it would be good for people to document their before-and-after renovation photos and so on. I'd like to see a lot more of that type of content being uploaded so I'll be restructuring things slightly to make this easier.

Stats

I'd like to be able to automate a lot of the stats I generate so you can view them at any time.

Articles

I've always had plans to have a section for property investing articles published on the site. I'm undecided whether I should try and integrate them directly into the forum software, or use an external CMS for that functionality. I've got a bit of work to do before we get to that point.

Newsletter

I'm working towards building a regular newsletter for PropertyChat. Partly it would be about highlighting new content on the site - but also about articles we publish and other information of interest to property investors.

Property Sales Listings

I am going to build a section of the site which allows people to list properties for sale. It won't be a free-for-all, paid membership required to post your own listing - business membership required for real estate agents.

Memberships

The existing forum software only supports PayPal for membership upgrade payments, but the new software is fully extensible and allows you to integrate other payment platforms, so I'll be able to offer credit card based monthly subscriptions.

-------

Please post other suggestions for features or functionality you'd like to see on the site.

luckyone, Colin Rice, thydzik and 3 others like this.
  2. Invest_noob

Invest_noob Well-Known Member

Would be good to be able to save posts for viewing later. Not sure if this can already be done.

Chris Au likes this.
  3. Simon Hampel

Do you mean just bookmarking a post, or a print view so you can make an offline copy (eg pdf or hard copy) to read later?

Both of these functions are frequently requested - but not currently available. I'll add them to my ideas list - there may be some addons which provide this functionality already.

orangestreet and luckyone like this.
  4. Invest_noob

Invest_noob Well-Known Member

I mean just like facebook, you can bookmark posts to view later. Thanks

5. Archaon

Archaon Well-Known Member

Will there be a recommendations section? Perhaps to recommend businesses in your area, whether it be REA, Property Managers, Town Planners, Builders etc.

6. Scott No Mates

Scott No Mates Well-Known Member

A fast up/down to the first post (top & bottom of screen), scroll bar on side, first unread post - some of these features on bicycles.net.au

7. ashish1137

ashish1137 Well-Known Member

There are so many real estate business owners on group.
    There are also some really knowledgeable people who want to change profession and move into real estate.
    A hire me platform which will help all job seekers in real estate profession.
    A plus plus and still related to property. :)

Mavis likes this.
  8. Terry_w

Terry_w Lawyer, Tax Adviser and Mortgage broker in Sydney Business Member

What about the ability to print out a whole thread in one hit. When there are multiple pages too.

9. ashish1137

ashish1137 Well-Known Member

Giving better classification to pchat members based on their contribution, likes, followers and age of joining (not their own age:p).

Regards

teetotal likes this.
  10. Air_Bender

Air_Bender Well-Known Member

It would be great to be able to identify the original poster of a thread amongst all the other posts from the other members. Maybe having something like 'op' next to their name so that we know they created the thread (especially when it's several pages long), kind of like what you see on whirlpool.

Ta

Last edited: 26th Sep, 2017
  11. LifesGood

LifesGood Well-Known Member

Second that

Air_Bender likes this.
  12. Ouga

Ouga Well-Known Member

"Trying is the first step towards failure" Homer
    New emoticons!

Gockie, Jess Peletier and LifesGood like this.
  13. Simon Hampel

The problem with recommendations is verifying their authenticity. Astroturfing is a huge problem that is difficult to deal with.

If I do allow recommendations, I would have to be pretty strict on who I actually allow to make recommendations - and the smaller the pool of recommenders, the less meaningful they become (potential for unintended bias from a small sample size).

That's not a "no", but it's a "will take a lot of careful thought" to ensure its validity.

Archaon and Terry_w like this.
  14. Simon Hampel

Yeah, pretty much all of this is in the next release, including sticky navigation menus meaning you don't need to scroll to the top to access the menus - they're always there.

We already have jump to first unread post in the current version.

Scott No Mates likes this.
  15. Simon Hampel

Yes, this is a good idea - I did start creating a section for this, but I can't quite remember what stopped me proceeding (may have just gotten distracted).

I'll add this to the todo list.

Mavis likes this.
  16. Simon Hampel

Yes, I am looking at adding this functionality.

It's not part of the core software (although is frequently requested), but I'll look at developing the functionality myself.

orangestreet, Chris Au and Ouga like this.
  17. Simon Hampel

This kind of functionality is already possible in the current version - but I have it disabled because I didn't think anyone would be interested (is also less relevant for a brand new site like we had!).

The software comes with a "trophy" system whereby you can earn trophies for completing certain actions or reaching certain milestones (more than X posts, member for Y days, etc). This can then be teamed up with member badges and such to indicate things such as contribution to the site.

I'll add it to the todo list to investigate further how we might make good use of this.

I might start a poll at some point to gauge people's interest.

Phantom and bob shovel like this.
  18. Simon Hampel

Yes, this has been requested to be part of the core functionality of the software, but isn't there yet.

I'll add it to the ideas list - I think it has merit.

Archaon likes this.
  19. Simon Hampel

Completely new emoticon system in the new software - also fully extensible and supports emoji codes as well.

There will not be any vomit emojis. Vomit emojis make me want to vomit.

I will take the time to customise the emoticons we have available with some site-specific ones which I think will be useful. Once we launch the new site and we get a handle on the capabilities, I may create an emoji request thread for suggestions.

Gockie and Ouga like this.
  20. Simon Hampel

Great suggestions everyone - keep them coming.