PropertyChat is 1 year old!

Discussion in 'News & Announcements' started by Simon Hampel, 20th Jun, 2016.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. hobo

hobo Well-Known Member

@Simon Hampel I tried that once when I first noticed the links weren't working for me and it didn't make any difference. Will try again.

2. Random Username

Random Username Well-Known Member

Windows 10 and 7, I think.

Using 10 for this post.

Your post # 71 has links to external sites, these all work.

Not sure if the below helps.

3. bob shovel

bob shovel Well-Known Member

Yep as above
    Screenshot_2016-06-22-07-08-02.png

4. Simon Hampel

Simon Hampel Founder Staff Member

That's what I'm hoping a move to Slack will help with - there are clients for most types of devices which allow you to log on and use the chat.

bob shovel likes this.
  5. Simon Hampel

Ahh okay - looks like it might be a problem with the common name in the SSL certificate - not recognising propertychat.com.au vs www.propertychat.com.au (which should both be valid).

6. Simon Hampel

Actually, no - SSL certificate is fine ... looks like it was my web server configuration.

Can you try those links which weren't working before again now? Hopefully it should work this time!

I think it was the recent move to HTTP/2 - or more the point, HSTS (HTTP Strict Transport Security) which is causing the problems.

7. bob shovel

Yep! The few i tried all worked :)

Simon Hampel likes this.
  8. Phantom

Phantom Well-Known Member

I've used Android and last night I checked on Windows 10 using Firefox. Still same blank web page.

9. Phantom

Phantom Well-Known Member

OK, just tried again after you reconfigured the server. Now it works. :)

Simon Hampel likes this.
  10. RPI

RPI SDA Provider, Town Planner, Former Property Lawyer

I paid the business membership straight away when you started, my main motivation being to help make up the numbers in the hope the new one would work and somersoft wouldn't die and also sort of a thank you for Sim for all the hardwork he did on somersoft.

I do get more than enough referrals that make it worthwhile to pay the fee (if that is why I was paying it). If I look numbers wise I got about 6 percent of my conveyances last month from here and I might get 1 or 2 planning matters and another 1 or 2 legal matters on top.

This is a great community and I would stay (and pay) even if I didn't get any work out of it.

The only downside is the Lurkers Wanting Freebies

What many of the non-business people on here probably don't realise is that so many lurkers who don't ever post here make contact. I imagine that @terryw and others would get many calls and emails also.

Some of them are good, but almost everyday I get people wanting (occasionally from someone who joined yesterday, but largely lurkers):
    1. detailed legal advice without wanting to pay anything for it;
    2. free details site overviews of a property without being willing to post on here so that it can contribute to the forum;
    3. where to buy in Brisbane for the best return;
    4. where is best to develop in Brisbane;
    5. a large discount because they seen my name on here.

I tell them to ask through the forum, that is what it is for, the sharing of ideas.

Any of the regulars on here that I have met/ spoken to will tell you that I really like meeting forumites when they are in town, going for coffee and having a chat about what they are doing and why. I also like chatting on the phone. But the lurkers are so often rude, demanding and offended when I won't give them free advice or discounts etc.

dabbler, ellejay, Ouga and 3 others like this.
  11. Terry_w

Terry_w Lawyer, Tax Adviser and Mortgage broker in Sydney Business Member

I demand you give me free legal advice!

I get tones of PMs, emails and phone calls. Some are good, some are just trying to get free advice - which I don't give.

ellejay, Ouga, EN710 and 1 other person like this.
  12. bob shovel

I've been going about this all wrong!... I have a busy day of phone calls, messages and emails! :D

13. MTR

MTR Well-Known Member

You give plenty of free advice on the PC, thank you:)

Terryw, I know many forum non business members on PC get pms with questions like... where do I buy, what do I buy, who is your builder, what did your build cost, who is your town planner etc etc.

Dependent on who it is and how many questions can also be very frustrating sometimes, because once you give them some answers perhaps... you don't hear from them again, no thank u, go figure

Last edited: 22nd Jun, 2016
    kierank and Xenia like this.
  14. Terry_w

Terry_w Lawyer, Tax Adviser and Mortgage broker in Sydney Business Member

Yes its part of the territory I guess. You have to take the good with the bad.

There are plenty of people who would rather ask someone rather than searching or using google. Some just want to be spoonfed.

Xenia, MTR and Phantom like this.
  15. MTR

MTR Well-Known Member

Yes, they need a mentor:p

Terry_w and Xenia like this.
  16. Xenia

Xenia Well-Known Member

We've tracked about 30% of our new business each month is coming from this site.
    The only thing is that we don't ask what people's avatar name is so have no idea who they are on here. I know a few but not all.
    Very worth the membership. If anyone is thinking about it - just do it, the cost is insignificant compared to gains. My time is the real factor that we consider more than the cost.

The stats have shown me some improvement also, no problem with liking posts, I think I got that one down pact. :D, but I can probably improve on starting new threads. Hopefully will be in your next set of stats up there with Terry and MTR on that one.

kierank and MTR like this.
  17. Xenia

Xenia Well-Known Member

guilty here.
    I would rather just ask someone too.
    except when it's a broader subject where research and forming an opinion is involved, then I read widely.

MTR likes this.
  18. MTR

MTR Well-Known Member

That is amazing, I also know a business member here who has had the same experience and he also has same stipulation, does not people's avatar name, that is excellent idea IMO.

I need to slow down on new threads:p... too much time on my hand, that will change soon, but hey that is what forum's are about sharing information/knowledge and I have networked with some great people and some of my deals and strategies I use today I could not achieve without their help... thanks, you know who you are:)

19. kierank

kierank Well-Known Member

I am not a business member as I am retired plus I do not have anything to sell. I do love getting PMs.

Most are asking for further explanation of some of my posts or my opinion on a certain topic. I am happy to provide this information, especially if they are genuine and I believe I can inspire them further.

I have only had one PM that I couldn't fathom. One member PM'd me to tell me that they were going to 'Ignore' me.

Go figure. Don't tell me about it; Just Do It. I won't get offended, whether you tell me or you don't.

BTW, Happy 1st Birthday PC.

RetireRich101, ellejay, MTR and 2 others like this.
  20. MTR

MTR Well-Known Member

LOL, you need thick skin on this forum and a good sense of humour. ;)

kierank and Xenia like this.