Health & Family PropertyChat "Biggest Loser" Challenge

Discussion in 'Living Room' started by 158, 5th Jun, 2016.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. wylie

wylie Moderator Staff Member

For the women reading this, I was at my heaviest at 66kg about 18 months ago, when I went onto Optifast. I'd been put onto this probably ten years when I hit 64kg, suggested by a nutritionist when I wasn't losing weight under her plan. She put me on it to kickstart my loss. It worked well but over the years I got lazy and put some weight back on. I think sitting in a hospital chair for nearly four months was not good for me (when my mother was in hospital).

Then I lost my Mum, my Dad and then my favourite Aunt. I think I ate for comfort, and my weight crept up. When I hit 60kg I was horrified and tried to watch what I ate, and record it, but it just kept creeping on until I hit 66kg and thought "ENOUGH".

I put myself on Optifast in November 2014. I have no medical problems and it should be under the care of a doctor, but I figure eating a low calorie diet with vegetables every day and plenty of water and a multi-vitamin without supervision was no worse than someone eating absolute rubbish without medical supervision. I don't say you should do this, but I'd done it before under a nutritionist and didn't really have faith in my regular doctor to know as much about it as I already did.

I lost 9.5kg, down to 56.5kg and kept it off for about a year, but bad habits do creep back in and I found it creeping back up by 2kg and I have lost .5kg but just cannot shift the 1.5kg to get back to 56.5kg where I'd be happy. It is not a lot of weight but it is all around my middle which is not healthy fat. So I want to lose it again.

I also tried the 5/2 Diet which I found easy enough, but didn't lose anything at all. I found the 5/2 forum and everyone was losing weight EXCEPT women around 50+. So I really do think it is a matter of hormones that are changing at this age for women that make losing weight so hard.

I'm now recording all I eat (have been doing this so long that is second nature and keeps me aware of what I'm eating). I'm avoiding white bread, rice, pasta and increasing my veg intake plus eating very well. I tend to do well on a diet of more protein than carbs, but I don't avoid carbs altogether. I find it easier to avoid chocolate etc, except will have a little of something and count it rather than feel deprived. I'm enjoying my eating.

Was doing so well today until my son and partner came over and brought Thai with them. It is hard to count calories and record meals that I don't make but I've blown my day and feel quite full. I also had a half cup of ice-cream with teaspoon Nutella and toasted slivered almonds. Yum.

Tomorrow is another day. I'll start over tomorrow.

Last edited: 5th Jun, 2016
    Starbright, MTR and WattleIdo like this.
  2. wylie

I've also started using a veggie twist thing that I've had for a while but hadn't tried. I've been twisting zucchini and making zucchini "pasta", adding a tablespoon of pesto and a sprinkle of grated cheese, zapping in the microwave for one minute. Delicious, and low calories.

When I'm good, I'm very, very good... ;)

Mooze, MTR, WattleIdo and 2 others like this.
  3. wombat777

wombat777 Well-Known Member

In winter, the fresh soups from the deli section of woolies/Coles are great. Usually just have it with a piece of rye toast. I have a more hearty lunch and make sure I have breakfast. Nibble on pistachios during the day.

The above was my goto strategy when I dropped a significant amount of weight in 2008 and 2009.

Water and mint tea for fluid intake. Can't give up full-cream milk in coffee though ( double-shot in a small cup reduces the amount of milk in a flat white / latte / etc ).

WattleIdo likes this.
  4. Kesse

Kesse Well-Known Member

This thread is a little late to my party, but as posted in the other thread, I'm not quite at my goal so I am in.

When I was living in Melbourne I got fat. I never weighed myself at my heaviest as I was too disgusted with myself but I would have been pushing triple digits.

When I moved to Cairns at the end of 2013 I got my arse into gear and started to lose weight. Originally I tried the calorie counting and eating what it touted as the healthy food (but is full of sugar) and it was a struggle. I lost 10kg but was hungry all the time and really lethargic. I then did some reading on the high fat and protein diet and low carbs and decided to give that a go as I have always known carbs don't really agree with me. I also exercise regularly and am the fittest I have ever been. 35+kg later and here I am. My lowest weight was around Christmas time where I was ~62kg but have put on a few kilos since so need to get back into gear. My aim is to be around 58kg (I think?). I will report my weight tomorrow morning as I gorged myself at dinner tonight so it's not going to be pretty tomorrow!

There was no way in hell I was going to post before or 'during' pics but I have been inspired by @Bran's bravery and it's a good reminder for me not to be that fat unhappy person anymore. And hey, if I can help motivate even one person then it's worth the shame.

The first pic I had already lost about 10kg when it occurred to me I should document my journey with photos.
    [​IMG]

While looking through an old hard drive the other day I did find a pic of me at my fattest. If I find it again (and get even braver) then I will post that too (maybe...).

5. wylie

I also don't do the low fat thing anymore. I use full fat milk and yoghurt. I think one of the problems with losing weight is there are so many "fads" and different things you hear, which all contradict each other. I add one sugar to a coffee too which satisfies my desire for something sweet. When I tried a few times to cut sugar from coffee (usually only one a day), I would look for something sweet to eat with the coffee. Better to have the one sugar.

Joynz likes this.
  6. wylie

@Kinnon... you look amazing.

Kesse and 158 like this.
  7. Bran

Bran Well-Known Member

Thanks for doing this Kinnon. I felt like I overshared, but was important to me as the weight alone doesn't capture my goal.

Joynz, Kesse, EN710 and 3 others like this.
  8. wylie

Hey Bran. I think you did a very brave thing putting photos up. I'm not brave enough to do that, but I admire that you did, and I'm sure I'm not alone. Don't feel you are oversharing. It will be good to watch as your photos change.

This is the site where I tweak the calories I need to eat to lose, and then to maintain. I also use the FatSecret App daily for recording.

The Lose Weight Diet - FREE weight loss diet plan

Joynz and Bran like this.
  9. MTR

MTR Well-Known Member

ok, I must try this one, great tip:)

10. Kesse

Kesse Well-Known Member

Thank you :) I feel pretty amazing too!

Admittedly I did have sweaty palms before pressing 'post' but there isn't much I can't or won't talk about and am known for oversharing. Plus, it's not like I was able to hide from being overweight.

Your post really did resonate with me too as my weight was more of a symptom of my life at the time rather than the problem. I needed to fix my life and the circumstances and the rest followed.

I owe it to myself to be my best and as a result I give my best to those around me.

11. wylie

Also... there are probably a few of us "wimmin" on this site needing a cold shower after seeing your before photo :p:D.

Oh... to be 25 again :).

... and you still look pretty good at 35 :D. (Don't tell my hubby I said that.)

MTR likes this.
  12. MTR

MTR Well-Known Member

:p:p
    wash your mouth out with soap, my husband still looks hot...:p

13. JenW

JenW Well-Known Member

And if he doesn't, just dim the lights ;)

wylie and MTR like this.
  14. JenW

JenW Well-Known Member

I'm also watching my weight. Backstory: always a tall skinny kid/teenager/20s. All was fine until I hit 30, when two things happened: I was diagnosed with clinical depression for the first time, and was put on my first round of antidepressants. Over a very short period of time (maybe three or four months) I went from 72kg to 86kg. (For the record, I'm 174cms tall.) Ever since then, my weight has fluctuated up and down between 89kgs (at my heaviest) and 76kgs - less time spent at this end of the scale unfortunately!

I'm currently weighing in at just under 80kgs. From Oct last year until April, I was very slowly losing weight through calorie counting and mindful eating, plus having a green smoothie every day for breakfast, but hubby and I recently had five weeks off work and basically relaxed into eating what we felt like. This was disappointing, as I had lost 10kgs and was enjoying being lighter. Fortunately however I only put on about 2kgs during the break, but haven't managed to get back into a regular routine yet with the calorie counting and smoothie thing etc. Am aiming to kick start it again this week (after the long weekend, of course....especially as we are going out to lunch for my father in law's birthday tomorrow :D )

158 and Westminster like this.
  15. MTR

MTR Well-Known Member

don't beat up on yourself, you have done well, it's not an easy road when you love food....guilty:)

JenW likes this.
  16. wombat777

wombat777 Well-Known Member

Some stats from 9 months of using my activity tracker:

Activities
    • Activities 89
    • Distance 842.97 km
    • Time 275:32:08 hrs
    • Calories 64,684 C
    • Elev Gain 32,576 m
    Steps
    • Steps 2,345,564 Steps
    • Distance1,883.62 km
    • Daily Goals Met - 91 Days (44%)
    • Active Days - 205 Days
    • Average Steps - 11,442 Steps
    • Calories - 512,946 C

158, JenW and Westminster like this.
  17. Bran

Bran Well-Known Member

I bring it out at any excuse ;)

Those who know me personally know I carry the gain well, but it's still not healthy

18. 158

158 Well-Known Member

I'm actually excited to see a mix of folks who are ready to make some life changes. Its also very encouraging to see some real life, recent success stories and brief but effective descriptions on how simple things they have done to improve themselves.

I'd really like to encourage as many people as possible to 'Accept a life change', and put in their opening weight and height. So far, we have some great bio from some members who accept they need to do something. Even the little things like 'going to get batteries (obviously for the scales at home)' is the first step for many. Then, we need to spend some small amount of time working out food plans and exercise regimes. Baby steps people.

Currently working on the spreadsheet. Have just had a thought about putting in an accumulated weight loss percentage of all the challengers combined, just to see how clever we are! :)

pinkboy

Westminster, Bran and EN710 like this.
  19. Kesse

Kesse Well-Known Member

Alrighty, weighed myself this morning and it isn't pretty after my carb laden weekend....

67.4kg :eek::oops:
    Height 162cm
    Female

Bran likes this.
  20. Bran

Bran Well-Known Member

Day 1. (Won't be a daily update, but given I bought a whole caramel chocolate cheesecake for dessert yesterday, I had to start again this morning).

My plan: largely centred around weights with the view to increasing lean muscle mass, with an increasing contribution of cardio, incidental or deliberate. Easiest part is dietary change: cut the crap, ignore low fat as an alternative (if I'm hungry, ill eat rubbish), increase water, decrease booze.

Here's the crux of my weights programme in case someone else is interested. It will slightly increase in volume when I'm up to iit. Pretty much everything is 3 sets, aiming 8-12 reps, where 12 indicates a possible increase in weight.

Legs:
    Squats 3x 8-12
    Dead lifts 3x 8-12
    Stiff-legged deadlifts 3x 8-12
    Ham-string curls 3x 8-12
    Calf raises

Back/biceps:
    Bent over row
    Lat pulldowns
    Seated row (narrow grip)
    Rear flyes 2x (light)
    Shrugs
    Bicep curls - EZ curl bar
    Biceps - dumbbell curl

Chest/shoulders/tris
    Dumbbell press
    Dips
    Dumbbell flyes
    Tricep 'skullcrushers'
    DB shoulder press
    Lateral flyes

And that's about it... Happy to elaborate if anyone is interested. Circumstances have been dictating timing, but doing this every 5-6 days is reasonable for me. Any longer or more frequent intervals and it needs to be broken up a bit. This is really serving as a base before I hopefully can start lifting with my old training partner.