Property with termites damage and water drainage issue ?

Discussion in 'The Buying & Selling Process' started by AlbertWT, 28th Oct, 2015.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. AlbertWT

AlbertWT Well-Known Member

People,

This is my first time buying existing house (brick) as Investment Property in SEQ, I need your help and suggestion regarding termites damage report in the property that is under contract (Unconditional).

The pest inspection result:
    • Visible evidence of termite damage such as mud tubes or damaged timbers were found (window frame).
    • Active (live specimens) Termites (White ants) were found.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Is it ethical or possible for me to get 2-3 different quotes from Pest contractor so to haggle the price down with the vendor for Termidor/ Termite Barrier ?

The Building inspection result:
    • Inadequate drainage of surface water.
    [​IMG]

Do I need to get quote from a builder to fix that issue ?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

Last edited: 29th Oct, 2015
  2. WattleIdo

WattleIdo midas touch

If you want a quote the builder or a plumber can probably give you one. Thing is, it depends on how desperate the vendor is to sell - if you are the only person to make an offer in the last 12 months and everyone is turned off by the termites and wster issues, then you've got a chance. If there are other buyers who would be willing to take it on then you've got Buckley's.

Tekoz likes this.
  3. Tekoz

Tekoz Well-Known Member

@WattleIdo but the OP said that the contract is already under contract unconditional in QLD, can he still make a bargain with the vendor ?

4. WattleIdo

WattleIdo midas touch

Would probably make everyone a bit uncomfortable, but negotiations continue eg sometimes the vendor asks for longer settlement etc.

AlbertWT likes this.
  5. bob shovel

bob shovel Well-Known Member

?? Is there evidence of damage from pooling water??
    This just sounds like a general comment that he /she throws to cover themselves if water builds up after a massive rain event. Looks like fairly level ground to me.

AlbertWT likes this.
  6. gman65

gman65 Well-Known Member

I had something like that (water pooling) on a recent inspection in a patch of grass.. I just ignored it, yes, water will probably pool somewhere in the property. If it were near the foundations could be cause for concern, but elsewhere, not sure there is a property where water will not form a puddle with intense rain.

AlbertWT likes this.
  7. AlbertWT

Hm... I've never thought about that before. Hopefully the vendor agreed to reduce the price after I got the quote from 3 different Pest inspectors for Termidor/Termite Barrier.

8. AlbertWT

@bob shovel Not that I can see from the report, perhaps you're right. Does the water pooling can cause soil cracking ?
    [​IMG]

9. AlbertWT

@gman65 the water drainage issue was mentioned in the sideways of the house near the fences where the gas containers are stored.

10. bob shovel

The opposite, that's dry as. But you'd need to see it in the wet though

With that yard all the water is going to run down the retaining walls and possibly onto the patio area. That would be in a big storm though

AlbertWT likes this.
  11. dabbler

dabbler Well-Known Member

If your unconditional, you have no leverage, wont hurt to ask, but they have no need to listen.

If the termites are no longer active in the house and the damage is minor, I would not be too worried about that, better they are eating out the back in timber there than the house, you can also get the pest guys to fix this now.

Re drainage, may be right, but if the house is not flooding, then you can do what is needed when you get time, it is hardly a new problem on a new house.

Good luck.

WattleIdo likes this.
  12. Tekoz

Tekoz Well-Known Member

@AlbertWT Have you check for reactive site issue ? Hopefully it is not a sign of Sinkhole :eek:

13. AlbertWT

@dabbler Ah I see, the damage was shown in the window frame only and the last Termite Barrier was on 2006 as per the certificate from the vendor/seller.
    FYI the house has been built since mid 90s. I've checked in the city council page that this house is not in the flood affected area.

14. AlbertWT

@Tekoz Sinkhole that's scary ... where can I check for the reactive site issue ?
    what can I do to prevent Reactive soil or site like that ?

15. bob shovel

Don't Park your caravan in the backyard

AlbertWT likes this.
  16. dabbler

Oh geez @Tekoz, take a bex and have a lie down will ya, there is no sink hole there, dont make the guy/gal ***** themselves ! Be straight with the facts, but sink hole......baahhhhh.

bob shovel likes this.
  17. dabbler

Stop worrying about the distractions, stick with what you need to do here and now, if soil is reactive, you build in accordance, so too late for that or sink holes, the house exists and has been there for a while.

Focus on what you need too, speak to the professionals you have hired tomorrow, and decide what to do, speak with those who gave the report/s and who is handling the matter for you.

AlbertWT likes this.
  18. AlbertWT

19. Tekoz

Tekoz Well-Known Member

@dabbler I'm just giving a suggestion of what may or potentially happens to the property.

Improper drainage of surface water can sometimes cause issues with the foundation/stability of the house, e.g. cause the house to sink.

Can also lead to dampness/rot and increased termite risk. Will also undermine any termite chemical barriers.

I would certainly ask some experts in the house renovation to do the quote for the fix.

20. dabbler

your talk of a sink hole is just plain rot as well as unhelpful if the OP took notice.

or

it was a poor joke, again not good if OP took any notice.