Property with Stormwater Catchment at the back

Discussion in 'Where to Buy' started by iwantahouse, 31st May, 2019.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. iwantahouse

iwantahouse Well-Known Member

Hi guys,

We are still evaluating different options. One is to go for a house with bigger land and the other is to go for a smaller house in a small piece of land, cheaper but that will allow us to save to invest in another property in the future.

There is a townhouse we are very interested in but it has a stormwater catchment at the back. Sturt river is the one that goes along the back of the townhouse in Marion.

Is there any disadvantage to properties with a stormwater/rive a the back? There is also some kind of linear park for pedestrians along the catchment. Will this make the property less secure than any other?

2. Scott No Mates

Scott No Mates Well-Known Member

Ask at the local cop shop if there have been any incident reports for the block.

Is there a flood plan which affects the property?

iwantahouse and Propertunity like this.
  3. Noobieboy

Noobieboy Well-Known Member

Unless there are drunken orgies happening in the park or a methlab truck appears every now and then, I would personally see the park as a plus. No neighbors.

As mentioned, flood check would be my first thing to look at.

iwantahouse likes this.
  4. spoon

spoon Well-Known Member

You might also get unwanted visitors every so often. Eg. Reptiles and exotic animals. ;)

5. boeman

boeman Well-Known Member

Only one I ever experienced had a caveat about building within X metres of the rear boundary due to the stormwater catchment area behind it, so unless you are wanting a pool or outdoor area I can't think of any reasons beyond a flood zone being a big issue.

Oh, and mosquito issues. Nobody likes those little *******s.