Property with Metro tunnel underneath

Discussion in 'What to buy' started by kefa, 21st Nov, 2020.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. kefa

kefa Member

Hi,

We are looking at an apartment for an investment where the metro tunnel runs directly underneath. I believe around 40m below. What do people think of this? Should this be a concern?

2. Scott No Mates

Scott No Mates Well-Known Member

Just check the insured events. Make sure that if it collapses the tunnel that you won't be left with a liability for either the building, tunnel, locomotives or fatalities.

3. Lacrim

Lacrim Well-Known Member

Yeah, don't do it. There's enough property out there without buying something that will be stigmatised forever.

4. Paul@PAS

Paul@PAS Tax, Accounting + SMSF + All things Property Tax Business Plus Member

It will have zero impact (other than a benefit of providing transport benefits which may enhance property appeal). Sydney is largely a solid bed of sandstone and why the metro tunnelling is so obvious as a solution. Twin six meter diameter tunnels 40m under solid rock pose no concern. Nobody in Sydney has mentioned any noise, vibration etc associated with metro tunnelling in the past 6 years as it is deep and through stone.

The project in Melbourne isnt through stone and has a management program as many noise & vibration compliants have been received.

5. Peter_Tersteeg

Peter_Tersteeg Mortgage Broker Business Member

I live near the Mullum Mullum tunnel (Eastlink, Ringwood) and walk my dog in the bush reserve directly over the tunnel quite a bit. Unless you're close to the entrance, you wouldn't ever know it's down there. The entrance is like anywhere else near any other freeway.

6. Scott No Mates

7. Paul@PAS

Paul@PAS Tax, Accounting + SMSF + All things Property Tax Business Plus Member

Westconnex isnt the metro rail tunnel as indicated by the OP. The very difference is depth. I read with horror that someone was recently proposing explosives be used for that project UNDER homes and 24/7. WTF. It and the earlier M4 extension seem riddled with issues for homes above...Depth seemingly reminiscent of the M2 tunnel at Lane Cove - I recall an apartment building partially collapsing into a hole back when it was underway.

[​IMG]

I wouldnt want a home above a shallow tunnel.

8. Scott No Mates

I know but the similarity is the depth - LCT/M2 were closer to the surface, WCX, NCX & NW Metro are generally 30m+ deep.

9. Lacrim

Lacrim Well-Known Member

Look, why take the risk? 99% properties out there aren't above a tunnel. Consider those instead.

Mulianto likes this.
  10. Mulianto

Mulianto ~~

I thought this was a bargain, amazing potential for reno. Land value is already 2.2 m.

50 Upper Cairns Terrace, Paddington, Qld 4064
    https://www.realestate.com.au/sold/property-house-qld-paddington-131275006

Then on a second thought, it’s hard sell for buyers thinking there are tens thousands of cars passing by underneath every day causing those vibration.

Then again people living in Singapore, Hongkong, Tokyo etc will laugh and say I think too much...

Last edited: 23rd Nov, 2020